RIM Unveils BlackBerry 7 OS for Summer 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds like 2006 all over again, so won't break RIMs fall.
RIM is down for the count within 18months.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
RIM also revealed that BlackBerry 7 will provide means for users to keep personal and corporate content separate on the device thanks to the integration of BlackBery Balance. This means users can check their personal email, access Twitter and Facebook, play games, interact with multimedia and install other non-corporate apps "while satisfying the very real need for corporate data to be highly secure and manageable."
I'm sorry, but if your employer is paying for the phone, you have no cause check personal email, or access Twitter or Facebook from your phone and expect any kind of privacy (if you want privacy, don't use your employers hardware/internet connection). And playing games, even if you're in marketing, you don't need to play solitaire for business purposes.

Clearly Blackberry is trying to cater to the average smartphone user, and by that, I mean Joe Sixpack and Susie Homemaker, who vastly outnumber the corporate users these days. At the same time, RIM is trying not to abandon their coprorate users, but Joe and Susie have no need for document editing and Exchange synchronization, encryption, VPN, etc...

Blackberry is trying to do too much with one phone. If they could afford it, they need to branch their business, create a BlackBerry Home unit that makes fun phones, and a BlackBerry business unit that creates capable work phones. It would be like Dell. You can buy a fancy XPS system, a Laptop that lets you replace the case for different styles, a boring business-class line, maybe a high-powered workstation. Point is, there's no one-phone-fits-all scenario (unless you're an Apple user). You can use a single OS, but you need to market the phones differently. Trying to sell one phone that does "everything" (but nothing exceptionally well) does not work. Apple doesn't advertise the iPhone as a business phone (they mention it can edit documents and check email, but they don't mention businesses). Continually marketing each Blackberry as a business phone that is also fun is failing. Advertise a fun phone AND a business phone, but don't make them the same phone. Change colors, cases, whatever, make them different somehow.

p.s. I didn't bring up Android because Google doesn't make the phones. It's up to Motorolla, HTC, Samsung, LG, etc... (and to some extent, the network provider) to decide what features actually get used and how to advertise them.

G

The reason RIM keeps marketing their phones as "business" phones is because it's the only leg they have left to stand on. What else could they market it as? A smart phone? A fun phone? A web phone? Android/iOS already crush Blackberry beyond recognition in these realms, RIM would look foolish trying to pretend that Blackberry even remotely competes against these. So all thats left is that somehow "business" phones fit into their own category. The simple truth is all that separates a business phone from any other phone was getting your company email on it. RIM was first to accept email as the dominant communications platform 10 years ago, but failed to do anything since. Now any phone can handle corporate email, leaving little reason to use devices as outdated as what RIM produces. What RIM failed to realize was how web-centric the world would become, and that simple black & white text would not suffice, but rather richly encoded emails loaded with content would.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Touchscreen and full keyboard, sweeet. I really like the fact that I can remote wipe my phone if I lose it as well.

Oh wait, it doesn't have a million meaningless apps available, too bad... (sarcasm)

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
BlackBerries are kind of cool, but I've always viewed them as business tools. Most of the non-business I know are either sticking with iphones and androids...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]lolrim[/nom]The reason RIM keeps marketing their phones as "business" phones is because it's the only leg they have left to stand on. [/citation]

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact its the market they have always gone for and still do? no that cant be it right?

[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]So, exactly what does Android or iOS do that Blackberry smartphones can't???? Aside from tracking every place you go....[/citation]

Look really stupid?

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]They still make blackberries??????[/citation]

Thats like saying "they still make cars?" retard.

Anyways on topic.. it looks dumb like android. Go back to the old UI IMO just make it higher res :) and keep the awesome button screen or I'm pretty sure ill switch. Maybe but it would be really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.