Robot Nurses To Cut Health Care Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Somethings are better performed by Humans. I suspect an elderly person who requires care would also enjoy the Human interaction of a Nurse apposed to a machine.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I also totally agree that it'll cut costs and jobs.. BUT also in the same sense, where I live, nurses tend to be lazy. Very unfortunate. technically I still would rather have a real living being. LOL besides, anything that has to do with technology will either fail or freeze at some point in time. It'd suck if the robot froze at a critical time.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
This is beyond stupid. Robotic "nurse"? First of all, nurses don't diagnose. Second of all, what will this thing actually do? Blood tests? Urine tests? Not only is this not practical (would you let a robot stick you in the arm?), but it wouldn't be more cost effective to have tens of thousands of urine/serum analyzing stations in people's homes. And what do they mean by "examine"? Certainly there wouldn't be any imaging. This thing wouldn't be changing dressings. I really would like to know what this thing could actually do. Monitor BP in hypertensive patients? Okay there's one idea that has a relative amount of logistics...but do you need an effing robot to do that? No.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
assuming they dont set a pricetag on these things that only Bill Gates can afford -- its doable.

The time savings alone can be worth paying $3-5k for something like this.

sure it will cut some jobs. but it will also CREATE jobs as service techs for these things..

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Looks good for simple tasks like answering the door and reaching for the TV remote, but would it call 911 if you fell or perform CPR if you stop breathing?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
My opinion. It will not happen:

1 - Real nurses have personality that cannot be duplicated by AI. Somehow, I don't see "Good morning, Dave" anywhere close to reality.

2 - HUGE legal liability here. If the patient that this nurse is tending becomes injured in any way while being treated by this hardware... The company/hospital that installs one of these things will need to absolve itself of any responsibility instantly after deploying one of these.

3 - Somehow I do not see JHACO approving of the use of something like this. -At least in the U.S.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Kingssman[/nom]Looks good for simple tasks like answering the door and reaching for the TV remote, but would it call 911 if you fell or perform CPR if you stop breathing?[/citation]

Agreed...but household tasks aren't the realm of a nurse. That sounds like hospice, which would be even less approachable by a robot - a majority of the care provided by hospice is intended to be psychological in nature. Nor do hospice workers diagnose or cure anything. Let's just stick with Life Alert.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]yep i agree ^^ it'll cut costs... and jobs.[/citation]

yep if soemthgin liek this was implemented you coudl kiss our already shakey economy's ass goodbye

[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]I'd rather have lazy nurse than a robot nurse that becomes self-aware and picks up a weapon.[/citation]

You wtch waaaaaay to much sci-fi dude , seriously get a brain , or alife LOL

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Cut jobs? Isn't there a shortage of nurses already?

Furthermore, I don't think is supposed to be a full-fledged "Nurse Robot" so much as an appliance that might, say, roll over to your bed and remind you to take these pills at the right time. Maybe have videophone to on-call physicians or live nurses who can help with emergencies or check up on the patient from time to time.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
^^^ But, again, do you need a massive, expensive robot for those tasks? They could easily be fulfilled by a small, well designed box that sits in, say, your bathroom.

grasshopper80

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
how is the CEO of iRobot developing these products mean that the government is wasting taxpayers' money? If they want to put money into R&D for these products, it has nothing to do with the government.

grasshopper80

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
How is the government wasting taxpayer money if the company iRobot decides to research these products? That doesn't make any sense? Are you sure you meant to say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.