Solved! Robotic sounding microphone

Oct 31, 2020
My wife and I both are using Corsair Void Elite headphones and mic. Mine is wireless and hers is wired. She had just got a new computer and now her mic sounds robotic. The confusing thing is, when I switch our headsets over, hers (wired) works fine on my pc, and mine (wireless) works fine on hers. I would have thought that if her mic was damaged, it would have the same problem on mine, similarly, if there was a hardware/software issue on her pc, m wirless headset would not work on her pc. On her previous pc there was no problem. I have uninstalled her sound drivers and used the latest ones. The simple solution, if life was simple, would be to switch headphones, however, she specifically wants a wired headset as she works form home, no switching off to conserve battery, mic is better on wired. So in summary, my wife's wired headphone mic works only on my pc. my wired works on both. Updated sound drivers. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Solution
Check what options they are listed in the computer as, there may be several ways they are listed, maybe as a headset but also as a mic and headphones. Using whatever it's not set to may work. Is the issue happening with both motherboard and case connections? Are the drivers you used from the motherboard vendor? Are all Windows updates ran? Have any other wired headphones or mic to test with on her system? Keep in mind that a wireless headset you tested uses it's own internal audio chip not the computer one so the test you did does not test the sound issues with the sound card or input, it's going through a totally different signal processor. Another option is to by-pass the computer audio by getting another sound card or a USB...
Check what options they are listed in the computer as, there may be several ways they are listed, maybe as a headset but also as a mic and headphones. Using whatever it's not set to may work. Is the issue happening with both motherboard and case connections? Are the drivers you used from the motherboard vendor? Are all Windows updates ran? Have any other wired headphones or mic to test with on her system? Keep in mind that a wireless headset you tested uses it's own internal audio chip not the computer one so the test you did does not test the sound issues with the sound card or input, it's going through a totally different signal processor. Another option is to by-pass the computer audio by getting another sound card or a USB headset.

Something like this HyperX USB dongle may work well https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperx...aWVbsfYAQbl1HXC0cHAaAhBwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds If you can afford it and want a higher end sound then there is this little guy https://www.schiit.com/products/ful...TjTySRwJwOJve5UF1xXZMFpsw_PxJlDkaAhq-EALw_wcB

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 31, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I did most of your suggestions including trying another wired headset, Your suggestion of "Using whatever it's not set to may work. " helped, I went through all the sound properties, found the output quality was set to telephone, switching it to DVD quality fixed the problem. Now we just need to work out what telephone Microsoft use as their indication of quality. My guess is two tin cans and a piece of string. Thanks again for your suggestions... I have a happy wife once again.

Thanks for your reply. I did most of your suggestions including trying another wired headset, Your suggestion of "Using whatever it's not set to may work. " helped, I went through all the sound properties, found the output quality was set to telephone, switching it to DVD quality fixed the problem. Now we just need to work out what telephone Microsoft use as their indication of quality. My guess is two tin cans and a piece of string. Thanks again for your suggestions... I have a happy wife once again.

Odd it was set to that, I am pretty sure the DVD setting should be the default.