Rockstar Rumored as Nintendo Next-Gen Developer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Touchscreen controller is basically replacing one expensive useless gimmick with another, and will just raise the price of buying multiple controllers for family or friends to play. But, I suppose Nintendo is trying to differentiate itself in some way, since the name of the game these days seems to be all about gimmicks and not things that actually make for better games.

belawrence

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Kileak[/nom]Can Rockstar make the next Zelda game? Pretty please?That way it won't be all gay and shitty like the last three (don't mention the CDi).[/citation]

Twilight Princess - hardly "shitty". Easily stands up to recently released games.
Wind Waker - excellent in scope and difficulty, despite being cel-shaded.
Majora's Mask - probably the best Zelda game ever made (sorry Ocarina of Time fans, it's true).

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
ATI R700? So they are going with a DX10 based GPU instead of an ATI R800 based GPU with DX11. Think long run Nintendo. By the time the Xbox 720 (or whatever it will be called) and the PS4 comes out it will most def have a DX11 based GPU in it in which by then every game would have migrated to.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
For full HD I would want 1gb ram at least. ram prices arn't that high and skimping in that area can really bite you in the ass. GTA4 was horrible due to the constant loading of textures especially when you started to outrun them which wasn't hard to do.

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
"Is that ps3 or ps3 using the CELL.
I somehow see GTA5 coming for the wii and PS3, but not the xbox"

Why not?It's already been mentioned that it is being devoloped for both ps3 and xbox.

PS3 and xbox360 are about on par with "graphics power" I have both and don't see a clear winner with one or the other.

If Nintendo goes with IBM processor then IBM will be sitting like a fatcat making CPU's for all 3 console makers.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I think...
The system should have more RAM. I know it's a console and that you can't directly compare the specs to a PC because they are designed to run games.
2 GB of RAM would really ward off frequent loading especially with games that have big environments like GTA.

The R700 is good enough for now an a few years ahead. People are being pessimistic about it because it's based on the HD 4xxx series. I don't know about the rest of you but I am still using a 4870 and playing most games maxed at 1080p resolution. Some people are saying what about DirectX 11? My question for those people is... When a game is made for this console will it use the DirectX api or perhaps DirectX desent matter and the GPU will be used to process the graphics using a different API. Also, I really don't care what anyone else says. The differences between DirectX 10 and 11 are very small and barely noticable. Compare DX9 vs DX10 and you can see a SIGNIFICATE jump in graphical capability the same is NOT true for DX10 vs DX11.

I for one can't wait to see the new Zelda in HD on this console.

I'm concerned that the HD screen on the controllers will increase the cost significantly.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
So a developer that is best known for its games where you run around shooting hookers and cops is going to be developing for Nintendo? That is one bold move for the most conservative console maker on the planet.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
theshonen889, the cell isnt an 8 core chip you twat. its a single core chip that hyperthreads with 8 coprocessors, 1 is disabled to improve yields and 1 is for the OS only. The main cpu controls the other 6 coprocessors which cant do as much, example they cant access the main memory and have to wait for the cpu to tell them what to do. and since your hung up on cell chew on this. the xbox 360s chip uses 3 of the cell cpus with no coprocessors. end result is about the same.

and you guys must not read the news too often. its been said for several months that all three next gen systems were going to be IBM / ATI powered. and nintendo also promised that it would never release a system that costs more than 250$. and so far they havent. so i expect the same price point for this system as well. so consider that in your design schemes. i dont see them coming out with a console that loses too much money after raking it in with the wii from day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.