Roku: You Would Buy Our Box Because It's Not Apple TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]there's a cheaper version that costs less then 10th of the price and that works really well. It just requires some assembly. It's called raspberry pi.[/citation]

LOL!

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It is quite apparent if you have your own solution in place, Roku is NOT marketing to YOU. In fact I think they would careless if you are using some old HDDs or PS3 or XBOX, this article states in no place that they are looking for people like you. It states, they are marketing this device to people that do not want to have an Apple product.

These threads are for constructive thoughts, not random crap, here's an example of useful information: "Wow this cost $20.00 less than the Apple product and does more!"

Or, "Does anyone know if it can stream media from external sources like a HDD?" Useful and thoughtful responses.

Another example of crap: HEADLINE TITLE: BMW Release a new car
SOME USER: My bicycle seems to work fine, it gets me to work and does not cost me anything...

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It is quite apparent if you have your own solution in place, Roku is NOT marketing to YOU. In fact I think they would careless if you are using some old HDDs or PS3 or XBOX, this article states in no place that they are looking for people like you. It states, they are marketing this device to people that do not want to have an Apple product.

These threads are for constructive thoughts, not random crap, here's an example of useful information: "Wow this cost $20.00 less than the Apple product and does more!"

Or, "Does anyone know if it can stream media from external sources like a HDD?" Useful and thoughtful responses.

SOME USER: My bicycle seems to work fine, it gets me to work and does not cost me anything...

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]hairystuff[/nom]as soon as someone releases a media player that lets you access standared windows file shares I'm in. So far I've found that XBMC does it all and runs on the old Xbox, ATV hardware, not to mention PC and Apple platforms.[/citation]

Wester Digital Live TV

it works for most stuff.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I like my Western digital tv live HD which when you load with custom firmware you can play anything from .isos with the menus to .mkvs with DTS. Although i do like my HTPC box simply because i can play computer games when i want to and watch movies.

byanymeans

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Just by being on tom's site generally proves that you are tech savy enough (or willing enough to learn) to be able to get the same if not a better experience without using Apple products. Apple stuff is geared and marketed to be idiot proof because idiots (tech-wise) generally use the stuff. Nothing apple TV is offering can't already be done with technology out there already...they just put it in a shinier box and market it to the masses.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Wow this cost $20.00 less than the Apple product and does more!"

In that case, shouldn't that be how Roku is marketing this-- instead of "It's not an Apple product"...?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I bought the boxee box i have tried all the others it may be more expensive but you get what you pay for the remote is wireless not IR so you don't need a line of sight the ui is amazing with 1.5 and it scrapes tv shows and movie data by default and plays ANY format at 1080p.

The cpu is much more powerful and its more open than the others you can make your own apps and store them online one of the biggest pluses if you use your boxee on a monitor and you want to watch live tv boxee has an optional usb HD tv tuner no other box has this feature.

Boxee live tv is amazing they also may have in the future a pvr that can record tv shows to external flash or usb drive the device has the ability it just needs to be programmed.

I like the streaming from any computer on your network or you can plug usb storage direct into the boxee the best feature is boxee can access ANY website on the internet so you don't have to wait for an app to view content on the internet.

Im not sure if the others can but i have an emulator app that can play The Atari Lynx, GameBoy (Color), GameBoy Advance, NES, PC Engine(TurboGrafx 16), SuperGrafx, Neo Geo Pocket (Color), PC-FX, and WonderSwan (Color) games on the boxee box.

khaydin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Why do you guys bother with stuff like this? Why not build a windows media center 7 box that does EVERYTHING with just one box? I have a Windows 7 Media Center pc and I can record 4 different channels at once, watch live TV, watch netflix, hulu plus, stream to my ps3 upstairs, stream to other PCs, use my xbox as a media center extender and watch live tv on it, watch blurays and dvds, and I can watch just about anything that can be watched in a web browser.

I don't have a box from the cable company and I never have to switch inputs to watch something. I just can't understand why people would want so many different boxes cluttering up their home when you can do everything with one box/pc.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]It is quite apparent if you have your own solution in place, Roku is NOT marketing to YOU. In fact I think they would careless if you are using some old HDDs or PS3 or XBOX, this article states in no place that they are looking for people like you. It states, they are marketing this device to people that do not want to have an Apple product. These threads are for constructive thoughts, not random crap, here's an example of useful information: "Wow this cost $20.00 less than the Apple product and does more!" Or, "Does anyone know if it can stream media from external sources like a HDD?" Useful and thoughtful responses. Another example of crap: HEADLINE TITLE: BMW Release a new carSOME USER: My bicycle seems to work fine, it gets me to work and does not cost me anything...[/citation]
Another example of crap: "These threads are for constructive thoughts, not random crap,..."

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]khaydin[/nom]Why do you guys bother with stuff like this? Why not build a windows media center 7 box that does EVERYTHING with just one box? I have a Windows 7 Media Center pc and I can record 4 different channels at once, watch live TV, watch netflix, hulu plus, stream to my ps3 upstairs, stream to other PCs, use my xbox as a media center extender and watch live tv on it, watch blurays and dvds, and I can watch just about anything that can be watched in a web browser. I don't have a box from the cable company and I never have to switch inputs to watch something. I just can't understand why people would want so many different boxes cluttering up their home when you can do everything with one box/pc.[/citation]

It about size and price a good HTC costs more that $180 that system would have to be near your large screen tv and would take up alot more space than a boxee box as well as power, if you already have a home pc or nas server with movies and music why buy a HTC you just have boxee box near your large screen tv and you don't have to move your computers.

Also portability its much easier to pick up a boxee box and small laptop hd and bring it over to a friends house.

Boxee box does more than just play files it scrapes the internet for data on that movie adds a link for trailer and links for extras as well as giving a synopsis without having to do anything an HTC running windows media center cannot do this.

Also boxee box can stream from ipads or tablets and phones as well and you can watch you youtube music videos or video from any website windows media center does not do this either.

Yes sure you can pop up a web browser and go to youtube on an HTC but can it play crysis?.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]I bought the boxee box i have tried all the others it may be more expensive but you get what you pay for the remote is wireless not IR so you don't need a line of sight the ui is amazing with 1.5 and it scrapes tv shows and movie data by default and plays ANY format at 1080p.The cpu is much more powerful and its more open than the others you can make your own apps and store them online one of the biggest pluses if you use your boxee on a monitor and you want to watch live tv boxee has an optional usb HD tv tuner no other box has this feature.Boxee live tv is amazing they also may have in the future a pvr that can record tv shows to external flash or usb drive the device has the ability it just needs to be programmed.I like the streaming from any computer on your network or you can plug usb storage direct into the boxee the best feature is boxee can access ANY website on the internet so you don't have to wait for an app to view content on the internet.Im not sure if the others can but i have an emulator app that can play The Atari Lynx, GameBoy (Color), GameBoy Advance, NES, PC Engine(TurboGrafx 16), SuperGrafx, Neo Geo Pocket (Color), PC-FX, and WonderSwan (Color) games on the boxee box.[/citation]

Can you connect a USB controller and play them or do you have to use the boxee controller? Cause If you can play with a USB controller then you just made me start to hate my Roku lol.

sezyboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mighty21[/nom]what about the popcorn hour? does anyone own one?[/citation]
Yes I own one. C200. Does everything I need. Have 2 HDs, blueray drive, networked to everything on gigabit connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.