Roundup: 8 Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwestgoh

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Could put up a list of hardware for comparison, for ease of user to compare those product not by points but by hardware parts.
High points does not mean high expectation in other user eyes.

Otherwise would like to see more laptops comparison next time (HP, Acer, etc.)

iversen

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I read in a local magazine that the Dell XPS 13 would run very hot during normal usage, especially on the "leather" part.

Is that something you noticed?

parlar

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'm allergic to fan noise. That it is quiet is for me by far the most important parameter, but it's rarely discussed. Does anyone know if the Dell Studio 17 is completely quiet under normal usage, such as word processing, surfing the internet or watching mp4 movies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't really dig the 5 star system. It always seems like not all the hardware is compared equally as there never seems to be any direct comparison between one model to the other. I think all models should be weighed by features, performance and price point.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]I don't really dig the 5 star system. It always seems like not all the hardware is compared equally as there never seems to be any direct comparison between one model to the other. I think all models should be weighed by features, performance and price point.[/citation]
Hi Warezme--
These products aren't "directly" compared to each other. That's because each one hit the market at a different time. We couldn't compare the performance of a laptop that came out in May to one that came out in July. Each product's review was written at the time that laptop was received by us.

Thanks,
Rachel Rosmarin
Editor, Tom's Guide

G

Worst ever laptop review, each page didn't even clearly describe spec such as cpu, chipset, HD, battery size... only subjective rating. Pathetic!

iversen

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah full specs should always be listed, especially when the laptops weren’t even compared head to head.
Take a look at the Dell 17 inch Studio, it seems one of the major critiques is the battery life. But when ordering that laptop you have several different CPU’s to choose from (CPU’s that differ not only in speed but also in power consumption) so depending on what the review sample was equipped with it could either spell doom for certain configurations or be less of an issue with others.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The big Acer Aspire 18.4" would of been a good review to add.

I also would of liked a hardware comparison table with screen size, options, and comparative price.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've got one of those MBPs. I used it today at a conference and my battery lasted for a good 5 hours. Of course, the newer MBP with SD slot is meant to be even better. As for the glossy screen, seriously, I don't see a problem with it. People complain about glare in glossy screens but, in my experience, the glare from a light source behind you is far easier to deal with than the washed out effect that a matte display has. The colours are also truly superb.

G

Strange there aren't any HP laptops. Or, for that matter, any Gateway, Acer or Sony laptops, considering these companies put together make up around 40% percent of the market.

I also find it strange that more advanced benchmarks were not used, considering the suite other parts go through here.

G

1) No specs, wtf?
2) No pricing, ehhh... (i.e. that 15" macbook costs $2000... definitely would raise a red flag for most people)
3) Some laptops are in completely different categories (gaming, portability etc.)

G

There aren't 5 USB ports on my Dell Studio 17" notebook, purchased December 2009 from Best Buy. It only has two and they're on the right side, where any cord plugged into them is kind of in the way of the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.