router or extender

sarahdog19

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
No wifi to tv. Using Actiontec GT784WN router from TDS. Tried Netgear extender N300, only 1 bar on TV & says can't connect (WPS).
Is it better for me to get a better extender or a better router? Thank you all! Kathy

Isokolon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Kanewolf is generally right however it depends on your wiring. I had 50% bandwidth loss over the power line in my home.

As for extender vs. router it depends on the quality of your modem.
If it's the modem your ISP provided I recommend getting a nice router and connect it to the modem via ethernet

c4s2k3

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015

Yeah, those won't get you great bandwidth but probably more than good enough for a TV. Just make sure you hook them up directly to the wall power socket, not through a power strip or surge protector.

IN my own case, getting a new router solved all kinds of issues I was having (wifi bulbs failed to connect, low signal/bandwidth on one end of the house, low bandwidth in my wife's office, etc.) but I run separate internet modem and router (the setup Isokolon described).

Looks like Kathy is running a combo modem/router. Kathy, if you own it and wanted to replace it, then you can replace it and configure any way you want. If it's provided and managed by your ISP, you'll have to coordinate with them. They would have to turn off NAT function in the modem/router in order to hook up an external router.