Rovio Sued Over Angry Birds Patent Infringement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Trolls like this are stifling game development for a developing platform. This is a shame and I hope a judge invalidates their claims and patent. Then I hope the owners of this company's children grow up and can't read.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]I hope IBM gets their patent on "the process of using a computer to make money from a patent portfolio". I wonder how many trolls would disappear.[/citation]
None, because doing that would infringe on another patent by someone else.

salimbest83

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
wtf is goind on with this patent thing.
later got patent " using finger to typing or touching to input any data or information on whatever ass.."

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Staples patented the Easy button ;)

Seriously, a company who does not product a product or have intent to produce a product using their patent, should have the patent revoked, unless the patent is licenced to a company who produces a product on the companys behalf.

A lot of companies just own patents to keep other companies from developing a product, and the company owning the patent will never product a product or care too. Just to mess up progress.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
all shareware is based on this method, and share ware has been around forever, even the days before the internet when the shareware game came on floppy.

Some shareware had a link to dialup or fax a request to the developer to unlock the full version.

So uses where used by other people even before this patent came into effect.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I patented the use of the letters a through z and the digits 0 through 9 in any public or private forum where comments and discussions can be made with their use.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Upgrayedd is a pimp, and character in the movie 'Idiocracy', a 2006 comedy by Mike Judge.

Upgrayedd spells his name U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D. The two D's are for a "double-dose of pimpin".
If I don't get Upgrayedd his money, he's going to come lookin' for me.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]The hell!! patent No. 7222078 describes a freaking abstract and verry broad way of gathering information at a centralized location between devices.This is getting out of hand. The US is not just intentionally crashing the economy but they are completly flooding the NA patent systems with useless patents that halts innovation. I say the US should be cutof from any kind of internationall buisness.[/citation]

Even if the patent system were to be refined, there is no way to stop idiots from holding patents until someone makes it big with the idea.

And sure, go ahead and lock the US out of international trade. That means Chine looses tons of money since we can no longer import our products from there and thousands of international companies loose a lot of money since they can no longer import products to the US.

Basically it would be a total global economic meltdown. The US buys more goods from the world than any other country.

G

I'm gonna patent spam.
A penny per spam would be more than enough :D

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Software patents should not exist at the beginning, these are just awkward. It does not promote innovation compared to the "Hardware" patents just trolls.

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ctmk[/nom]Software patents should not exist at the beginning, these are just awkward. It does not promote innovation compared to the "Hardware" patents just trolls.[/citation]

correction:
It does not promote innovation compared to the "Hardware" patents but just trolls.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]t_wilson[/nom]The U.S. patent system is a fucking joke.[/citation]
No sh*t, Tom's seems to have these types of articles monthly. It's amazing the Linux community has been able to survive with all of this legal crap flying around. Then again, their biggest advantage is that they are extremely fragmented.

G

I wonder what America is going to do to fix the patent system. We should have that answer set up before the politicians start getting influenced to make another broken system.

Even if we (by we, I especially mean American citizens in general, but anyone should be allowed input to better the idea) have a good idea, things could go wrong, but it definitely wouldn't hurt.

It's easy to sit and complain, but action, something, anything, has to be done by someone in order to get something done. That's what drives all those animal activist rights groups.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure this stuff should be "Copyrighted Intellectual Material". How are these patents? Patents should have to be an invention of something physical--like circuitry or genetic code (although I have my beef with genetic patent laws).

If I describe some vague notion of landing craft for manned or unmanned celestial exploration, do I get to start suing NASA if they do anything? Because personally, I think I should need a prototype. Anything software should be Copyright--so update buttons in programs should be unpatentable, only copyrightable.

Status
Not open for further replies.