Rumor: Apple Working on PayPal Competitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Just me, but I'm not that comfortable giving Apple my credit card info (I currently avoid iTunes). Although, it would be funny if someplace like Newegg used it, and then I buy a copy of, say, Windows 7 with it.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
They have bitten off a lot more then they can keep a lid on lately. While they are more then capable of building such a service, you actually have to ask why. Apple doesn't often make new products/services that doesn't already build upon a previous core business.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I don't see why not. With the cash they have in the bank and the fact that they already have the system in place to draw from your bank account/credit card through iTunes. It would make sense to offer your own version of PayPal and get a piece of that pie. If you don't want to give them your bank info then instead of selling iTunes money cards at Walmart they would sell AppleSlice cards that you bought and added to your ApplePie account and could be used on iTunes and other places while Apple walks away with the Applesauce.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
If they do I hope that EBay refuses to allow it as a payment method due to the EBay Eula not allowing other software to run on their hardware!

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]they would sell AppleSlice cards that you bought and added to your ApplePie account and could be used on iTunes and other places while Apple walks away with the Applesauce.[/citation]

That was freakin hilarious +1. I really don't think Apple needs to make more money off the system hog and cluster**** that is iToons.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
No thanks, I don't want to pay the Apple Tax ^_^. You also have to get consumers to trust business offering the service. Alot of people are already brainwashed to use and trust paypal so getting them to switch is going to take alot.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Since it has the Apple logo on it, it probably will be a resounding commercial success in spite of the store offerings.

Maybe the first thing to go on sale would be the iAlphabet Keyboards...

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Paypal needs some competition. 3.25% is too much just for handling a payment. That's 3 times the interest most banks pay for a year!

jediagh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]Paypal needs some competition. 3.25% is too much just for handling a payment. That's 3 times the interest most banks pay for a year![/citation]

While 3.25% may seem high it is actually on the lower end. 2% of **ANY** credit card transaction actually goes to PAY VISA/MASTERCARD/DISCOVER/etc for using it's service. If you open a CREDIT CARD MERCHANT account you not only have a monthly "rental fee" for equipment and the ability to "charge credit cards" but then their is a tier level of how much of a % the company that gave you the equippment will charge you. If you make 1 million or over in sals it's say 1%, 1 thousand in sales it's say 2%, 100 in sales it's 3% and so on. The lower your sales the higher the percentage.

Most small online biz or those people that sell stuff on eBay/ioffer/ets would not be able to make abig enough sales quote each month in order to reap the benefit of using a MERCHANT ACCOUNT. As such the PayPal option is reasonable and requires no monthly "rental fee".

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Any service which compete's against paypal is definitely a good thing... Ever since I sold an item on ebay, paypal confirmed the transaction, gave me the money, and once it realized the seller's account had been hacked, tried to get me to pay for it, i've boycotted paypal and will never ever use their services again...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]If they do I hope that EBay refuses to allow it as a payment method due to the EBay Eula not allowing other software to run on their hardware![/citation]
Funny.

Although, being a dork, I must point out that Ebay already bans Google Checkout, so I have no doubt they'll ban Apple iPay (trademark pending) for any number of reasons.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]BallistaMan[/nom]Just me, but I'm not that comfortable giving Apple my credit card info (I currently avoid iTunes). Although, it would be funny if someplace like Newegg used it, and then I buy a copy of, say, Windows 7 with it.[/citation]

Sadly, lots of people are buying tunes on iTunes.

With apple's lack of experience in security, I don't trust them with any information like this.

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I heard earlier about Apple making a new platform supporting media ( great movie experience ) and also sa gaming platform solution which I find kinda impossible sine Macs have faileed in gaming so far. And now this.. I'm sorry but if they really think they are able to stand against the userbase of PayPal they are way too fooled. I dot like Apple all the most lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.