Rumor: Cisco May Consider Selling Linksys

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I used to buy only Linksys products, before Cisco bought them. They worked fine, little slow on firmware updates but they where rated one of the best back then. Last Router I bought Was the WRT540GX big thing for we at the time was the range. I used it for five years but when I started using more and more broadband the thing couldnt keep up so I bought the Netgear WNDR3700 have external harddrive hooked into it for media server. Works great! I think Cisco should sell it to a company that would do something with it and not try to milk money from what is left of their name. Just my opinion.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Personally, I've been using routers and modems from a company called Trendnet... They seem to work a good bit better than any Linksys or Belkin I've had. A sight better than D-links too.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Good news......Linksys hasn't been the same since Cisco bought them up. Hopefully they return to being the best without question.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have had a love-hate relationship with Linksys.

Their routers seemed to fail on me like clockwork. 18 month intervals. It has been getting better with more recent versions of the WRT54G, but they have ranged from slow to spunky. Just depended on the batch.

Yeah, they are missing a lot of features. Let someone with some beef buy them... D-Link perhaps...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Has, may i ask which router you're talking about? I have been using my WRT54GL for years without ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. The damn thing has been on the whole time without any reboots (except for a couple power outages)Unfortunately the 54Mbps speeds are starting to not be enough[/citation]
I just got the E3000 a little while back. It lacks some features others have, but I personally don't use them. It's speed and range even on the G band are better than the old WRT54G I had and the reviews I've seen show it's wireless speed is fantastic.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Never have used a Linksys, but my friend absolutely hates his N router. Says it disconnects every time he tries to do anything, on both his Windows laptop, desktop and iPad2.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I was using Linksys before Cisco aquired them a while back. I was happy with them then, but since the aquisition it seems quality has gone down in the firmware department. I dont need NAS, i have plenty of servers for that at home, I need a robust gateway and wireless access point.

I've used E3000 and a few client's and so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.