Rumor: HP Wanted $1.2B For webOS, Didn't Get It

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I dont agree it was the right choice. HP needed to nurture and control this. Integrating it into their laptops and eventually creating a universal platform and eco system was the way they needed to go. Linux controls open source on pc and android in mobile. WebOS is a poor mans android then? Why would any manufacturer was time and money developing for it only ro cannibalise their own sales? Even if it went to low end devices where brew and bada reside again no one will take it on since the market isnt mature. Android has shown that letting people do what they want is a double edged sword. Look at carrier bloatware and some of the skins. While im for open OS it does need some boundaries.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
All I can say is that I loved my Pre (-) while I had it. I kept holding on waiting for the Pre 3 that never was. I moved to Android and while I like it and the ecosystem it has, I'd go back to WebOS at the drop of a dime if they got some developers and nice hardware involved.

Let's see what the community can do for this wonderful OS.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]I dont agree it was the right choice. HP needed to nurture and control this. Integrating it into their laptops and eventually creating a universal platform and eco system was the way they needed to go. [/citation]

This is an appealing idea. Should have gone this route... Just imagine what you could do with an integrated WebOS chip on the motherboard. Could have made some quick-boot features, some basic interwebs, and elementary apps...

In fact, I don't see a reason why another manufacturer wouldn't do this with Android and their own laptops...

apocryphon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
The problem with Android is patents. If the patent wars continue to slog on into 2012, it will give the opportunity for minor platforms such as WinPho and maybe even webOS the chance to shine. For the latter, however, it hinges on whether or not manufacturers such as HTC might want to branch into an alternative platform to escape that patent woes. Any perceived Google favoritism towards Motorola may be a factor, as well.

tempelife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Epic Fail. A very capable OS can be built for way less than 1.2B. In addition, is anyone going to compete with the beast called "Google" and their Android OS with all their services? Even if an OS is better, it is almost impossible to compete because Android has so much integration with the cloud and web including Gmail, Contacts, Google Talk, Google Voice, Navigation (turn-by-turn), Picasa, Browser Syncing of History, Searching, and Favorites, etc. That is too much to overcome by a standalone OS no matter how good it is. HP should have seen that mountain before they purchase WebOS. I know 1.2B is too much for an OS running on printers and other small devices. There certainly had to be a solution that was at least $1,000,000,000 cheaper. So again, epic fail from a decision-making standpoint by HP. Notice the CEO is now gone as he saw the writing on the wall and left to Oracle, where Larry Ellison threw 10s of millions at him which of course didn't made it that much easier to leave.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I really like webOS as an operating system, but it came to fruition very late and has since been neglected.

I am not sure if open source is the right course, but I am glad HP is at least doing something with it that will drive it forward.

I would buy a device with a matured WebOS and community. definitely.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
One reason people think there might be life is that there were so many touchpads sold in the recent fire sales. Unfortunately, the number of people who are actually using the WebOs is probably small in comparison. I was lucky enough to get a touchpad from best buy when I had to buy a laptop for my son. The day he got the touchpad, he rooted the device and put android on it and never looked back. I think he may even have ICS now and it runs much faster than it ever did with WebOs on it.

Dont get me wrong, I was a strong supporter of WebOs, but after seeing the difference in performance when he switched the tablet to android makes me a firm believer that it will take a miracle for WebOs to survive in the next couple of years.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Dont get me wrong, I was a strong supporter of WebOs, but after seeing the difference in performance when he switched the tablet to android makes me a firm believer that it will take a miracle for WebOs to survive in the next couple of years.[/citation]

WebOS performs much better then Android on a tablet. At least Android 2.3, which is what is currently able to run on the Touchpad. It takes a couple tweaks to make it the most efficient, which is disappointing, but still less work then rooting it. The overall usability and feel is much better then Android, which is why ICS stole a lot of their new innovations off of WebOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.