Rumor: iPhone 5 and iPad 3 to Use 4G LTE Technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think if Jobs were alive, he would have simply demanded the latest iPhone to have 4G capability, a larger display, better battery among other things. You know.... actual improvements. Instead, I refuse to buy this software only upgrade that is being called the iPhone 4S. We have fallen behind.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Sure Macbooks have a Thunderbolt port, but the jury is still out on Thunderbolt devices to plug into it are anywhere to be seenThey would have been better off sticking with USB3 and waiting for Thunderbolt to go optical like originally intended[/citation]

However Apple is first with Thunderbolt and playing nice with the Apple display to create a docking station for the MacBooks and Airs.

What could be great is having both technologies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]However Apple is first with Thunderbolt and playing nice with the Apple display to create a docking station for the MacBooks and Airs. What could be great is having both technologies.[/citation]
If all they use it for is to attach one Apple product to another then why bother with Thunderbolt, they could have just used an Apple only proprietary connection.
The idea of Thunderbolt is a universal connection that anyone can use to attach any kind of peripheral, but as yet the take-up from hardware vendors is pitiful.
So good for Apple for embracing a new technology, but shame on the industry for ignoring the opportunity, I guess all that bandwidth just isn't required yet, maybe in a few years when 4K displays and 4K BluRays are around.
Speaking of which, still no Bluray on Macbooks? erm, .... awkward .....

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Uhhh...duh?

It would be near suicide for Apple not to support these technologies with their latest and greatest mobile devices.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]joshoooeje[/nom]I think if Jobs were alive, he would have simply demanded the latest iPhone to have 4G capability, a larger display...[/citation]

You lost me at 'larger display'. It's fairly well-documented that Jobs believed 3.5" for a phone and ~10" for a tablet were the perfect sizes for everyone. It's also well documented that Jobs was a very stubborn man who didn't care what people thought they wanted because he "knew better" or some such.

If anything, Jobs' departure could pave the way for a larger iPhone (perhaps 4") and a smaller iPad (8"?)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Assuming of course that the industry goes the Thunderbolt route and it doesn't turn into the Betamax of connectivity, ie, technologically superior but ultimately a commercail failure.[/citation]

Yep, true.

I think so long as Apple brings out more devices which support Thunderbolt, they'll create a 'worst case scenario' where you can get lots of Thunderbolt devices but they have to be Apple. Such a scenario wouldn't interest me, for example I have a 30" Dell Laptop which wouldn't connect - but lots of people seem to stay irrationally loyal to Apple products and will buy the whole range, lol

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Yeah, Apple were always last to introduce the fastest CPU/GPU combination of any phone in the world.Oh, wait.[/citation]
Have you seen the reviews of the Tegra3 based Transformer tablet? Tegra3 still cant top the PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the iPad2 or iPhone4S... Apple haters are still gonna hate.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I dont really care about 4G at this point, as its still extremely spotty in my area right now.. My main concern is the UI in iOS.. There have only been very slight changes since the iPhone first came out and its getting very boring.. If they dont give the UI a major overhaul, I wont be buying a third iPhone..

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]"Of course it will have LTE. Apple is always last to adopt new technology..."Like thunderbolt?Apple is a mixed bag on new technology adoption, so that is not true.Don't confuse Apple products not having the most powerful specs with their adoption on new technologies. They may not implement the most powerful new technology but that is far away from not being among the first companies to include a new technology. Notoriously Apple has been first with some Intel processors like the first MacBook Air.[/citation]

Well put. Its amazing how droid heads bury their head you know where. They seem to forget their droid whatevers are ALL copies of the original iPhone.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Wow, so iphone late to the game announces it like they created it as usual.[/citation]

And where exactly did you "read" this? Or is it just convienient for you to jump to this conclusion because it makes you feel better about yourself? Very sad.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The funny thing about this article is all the isheep for the last year have been saying 4G is lame, and not needed, 3G is fast enough and not a battery hog. But now the 4S doesn't have 4G and it has one of the worst battery life of any phones. When it comes out next year, 2 years after It has been released and working great on T-mobile; the isheep will boast how the iPhone is the best now. All I every hear from Apple fans is, wait until next year, when they release a new phone. Apple is nothing but a Communist company that gives its owners no choice of phones ,with one released a year with no color selection. Black or White - live with it.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
ipad 3 or ipad 2S ? And for the performance i rather have a normal tablet with 40 hrs over a 10 hrs tablet that can play shitty game. If i want to play game will get home and play console or pc.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Well put. Its amazing how droid heads bury their head you know where. They seem to forget their droid whatevers are ALL copies of the original iPhone.[/citation]
You forgot to add, "in my dream iWorld" at the end of your sentence. The Android OS was long on it's way when iOS was just a twinkle is Steve's eye. But you go along thinking about Apple always be the first company to come out with Apple products sold at Apple stores. It provides excellent entertainment. And if you are not sure who was first, just as Siri, "Are all new technologies first on Apple platforms?", and it can answer, "I don't know overall Newton was for pineapple forms. How about that weather today?"

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You forgot to add, "in my dream iWorld" at the end of your sentence.

...and it can answer, "I don't know overall Newton was for pineapple forms. How about that weather today?"[/citation]

Delusional

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Have you seen the reviews of the Tegra3 based Transformer tablet? Tegra3 still cant top the PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the iPad2 or iPhone4S... Apple haters are still gonna hate.[/citation]
Actually in GLBenchmarks tests the Tegra 3 beats the A5 by about 25%.

kaplansa

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]"Like thunderbolt?[/citation]

Just so we're clear, the only thing "new" regarding Thunderbolt is the plug. PCI Express has been around since 2004 and even my five year old Dell has had PCI-E for the longest time. I'm happy Apple changed the plug, but it's not like they invented a new spec. Frankly, should have been included a long time ago. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_External_Cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.