Rumor: iPhone 5 Arrives September 21; Smaller Connector

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Apple has done this for years. Change their peripherals connectors/slots so that they make money off the licenses and people have to go out and buy all new peripherals again. I say motivated by greed - Apple iSheep say it is revolutionary.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
wow. from 30 pin down to 19. at this rate apple might finally get the connector down to 4 pins by 2024! it'll be small, "micro" let's say, and it could be used to universally fit all apple products. with only 4 pins it'd have to operate on some kind of serial bus signal. it could be called a "micro universal serial bus"!
sigh, us apple fans will have to wait another 12 years to finally be able to fork over $78 hold such an innovation cord in our hands...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]People are making too big a deal about this new connector. These are apple customers remember. Tim Cook could take a shit, wrap it in an apple-branded glossy case and sell millions of samples at +$500 a pop. Oh wait they already did that...it's called the iPhone!!![/citation]
On the flip side they could release a phone with the power of an i7 octocore cpu and dual 680GTX in SLI, with a 4k resolution on a 5in screen, a 1tb of quantum storage and get at least one solid year of use on a single battery charge, and yet you would still hate it because its an iPhone.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]On the flip side they could release a phone with the power of an i7 octocore cpu and dual 680GTX in SLI, with a 4k resolution on a 5in screen, a 1tb of quantum storage and get at least one solid year of use on a single battery charge, and yet you would still hate it because its an iPhone.[/citation]

Sadly, you're right, I personally won't use an iPhone anymore(I got 3gs before) because of the following reasons.

iTunes sucks - can't get any media onto the phone without a major headache(I got BS & MS Computer Science degree)
lack of choice - I don't want the same phone, same ringtone with everyone else, give me some choice man. Big screen for a media junkie like me ;)
Apple the arrogant asshole - I'm sorry, I can't support a company that bullies other companies and slows down the industry/technology innovation.
Apple the tyrant - if I want a dictatorship that tells me what I like/want, I would've move to North Korea already.
iOS the boring OS - my god, it's the same boring iOS again and again and again, I'm sorry I get bored easily. I change my launcher on my SGS2 pretty frequently to keep the "freshness" of the phone.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
"Other changes will include moving the headphone jack from the upper left to the lower left..."

Apple is REVOLUTIONARY!!!! I must buy it for this feature alone!

All joking aside, you have to admit, they went a lot longer than most, if not all, other smartphone makers without changing the adapters. Just stinks for all those iHome things that people have bought. Perhaps they'll have an adapter for the adapter... I think that made sense...

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]On the flip side they could release a phone with the power of an i7 octocore cpu and dual 680GTX in SLI, with a 4k resolution on a 5in screen, a 1tb of quantum storage and get at least one solid year of use on a single battery charge, and yet you would still hate it because its an iPhone.[/citation]
Hell no we would love it! Then jailbreak it!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Interesting to see the date pegged. Other rumors have it at August, some at October and some in September.

Either way though, it'll be more of the same; reaping massive profits with less units sold than competing handhelds. Apple's got it locked down.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

We'd still hate it because it would be running the same old crap iOS and be all locked down. Not only that but it would cost 6K. So so I would still hate it and id still hate apple.

hitman400

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Wow glad I didnt wait for that. I knew a 4 inch screen wouldnt cut it. Another reason I'm glad I went with a Galaxy Note. After years of having the Iphone up until the 4 was good for its time but it was time to move on. Was really disappointed in the 4S expecting a redesigned 5 last year. Took too long to get to this point. So now I'm a happy camper with my 5.3 inch 1280 x 800 res super amoled screen and so customizable and gets lots of attention. Does everything I need it to and then some. No thanks Apple you had your time. Changing the connector will mess up alot of people too with existing devices that use the old one. Bad move I say.[/citation]
Sorry but not everyone wants a phone the size of a GPS. If you can use an explanation, such as your, for anything, then that proves it's unreliable. Let me provide an example. A new phone comes out, it's 9 inches, and the Note is 5.3" and everyone will praise the larger screen just because it's larger. Also, did you know that your NOTE is a genre called a cellphone/tablet hybrid? A 4 inch screen is the sweet spot for a CELLPHONE

hitman400

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
[citation][nom]hitman400[/nom]Sorry but not everyone wants a phone the size of a GPS. If you can use an explanation, such as your, for anything, then that proves it's unreliable. Let me provide an example. A new phone comes out, it's 9 inches, and the Note is 5.3" and everyone will praise the larger screen just because it's larger. Also, did you know that your NOTE is a genre called a cellphone/tablet hybrid? A 4 inch screen is the sweet spot for a CELLPHONE[/citation]
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Breaking news, Apple will be selling a dock adapter so you can put your new iPhone into your old dock devices, it will be patented and sold exclusively by Apple for $50 each, manufactured in Shangrila from the finest Unicorn tears.[/citation]
Even more breaking news, 3rd party companies will make their own adapter and sell it for $5 on amazon!

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hitman400[/nom]Sorry but not everyone wants a phone the size of a GPS. If you can use an explanation, such as your, for anything, then that proves it's unreliable. Let me provide an example. A new phone comes out, it's 9 inches, and the Note is 5.3" and everyone will praise the larger screen just because it's larger. Also, did you know that your NOTE is a genre called a cellphone/tablet hybrid? A 4 inch screen is the sweet spot for a CELLPHONE[/citation]
Rarely is it about the iPhone being unreliable minus a few minor exceptions.[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Sadly, you're right, I personally won't use an iPhone anymore(I got 3gs before) because of the following reasons.iTunes sucks - can't get any media onto the phone without a major headache(I got BS & MS Computer Science degree)lack of choice - I don't want the same phone, same ringtone with everyone else, give me some choice man. Big screen for a media junkie like me Apple the arrogant asshole - I'm sorry, I can't support a company that bullies other companies and slows down the industry/technology innovation.Apple the tyrant - if I want a dictatorship that tells me what I like/want, I would've move to North Korea already.iOS the boring OS - my god, it's the same boring iOS again and again and again, I'm sorry I get bored easily. I change my launcher on my SGS2 pretty frequently to keep the "freshness" of the phone.[/citation]

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The bigger screen is just a Bonus for those of us who want one or don't like to squint at the iddie Buddie screen. there are other Android phones that don't have screens as big as my infuse or galaxy s2/3

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
It's about choice freedom and difference the very thing that apple refuses to apply to their business model. Then they try to oppress not only the consumer base but also any company that may compete with them. I hate to say but if all companies operated this way our technology would not be as advanced or as succeeded as it is. Apple itself wouldn't be nearly as advanced as they are today. Competition BREEDS innovation, need mothers invention and greed embellishes restriction. Apple is on the forefront of restricting the consumer base to adhere to oppressive and repressive standards. If this continues the age of the "patent wars" will be one of the most freedom destructive eras in history. Don't get me wrong Apple makes great products but their methods of securing market share is there along with big oil and big pharmaceutics. I left a lot of industries out, apple has strayed from it's original values and that's what makes most of us dislike or even hate them. To strictly judge them on their products is short sided and utterly a mistake. End rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.