Rumor: iPhone 5 to Feature Quad-core CPU from Samsung

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Kapper[/nom]How could Apple and Samsung possibly work together on this after the legal battle over tablets? Makes no sense as each company wants the other gone.[/citation]

Both companies made each other a lot of money. Though doesnt give Samsung the right to copy Apple products. Thats the problem. Apple is always looking for other suppliers of parts so Samsung still in it since they currently produce superior parts. This is true of ALL PC and electronic devices. They (consumer electronic companies) buy hardware from each other to produce products. Nothing new.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Both companies made each other a lot of money. Though doesnt give Samsung the right to copy Apple products. Thats the problem. Apple is always looking for other suppliers of parts so Samsung still in it since they currently produce superior parts. This is true of ALL PC and electronic devices. They (consumer electronic companies) buy hardware from each other to produce products. Nothing new.[/citation]

Didn't give Apple the right to doctor photos to make Samsung look guilty either, but they did that anyway.

G

I don't see why the iPhone 5 can't have both 4G and quad-core, the koreans did it for the Samsung GSIII.
Besides if the iPhone wants to stand out (which it will, otherwise it's gonna gonna become a dying breed) then it's gonna have to as far as I'm concerned.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]T1nyTim[/nom]I don't see why the iPhone 5 can't have both 4G and quad-core, the koreans did it for the Samsung GSIII.Besides if the iPhone wants to stand out (which it will, otherwise it's gonna gonna become a dying breed) then it's gonna have to as far as I'm concerned.[/citation]

Well, if they use a dual core that is at least almost as fast as some other quad core CPUs in both CPU and graphics performance, then it wouldn't matter. Honestly, the fewer cores that they can hit a certain performance level without sacrificing anything else, within reason, the better. Qualcomm's got Kraits and such that can meet or beat some quad core CPUs in the same market and they're not even based on the A15s, so it's bound to be doable.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If Samsung played hardball and stopped supplying all the best kit first to the people who are regularly f**king them over in the courts, and used it themselves first, they would be the number one tablet / smartphone vendor in the world.
I'm not saying cut them off, just release it on your own products first and allow them to have it a month or two later, but giving away the crown jewels is just suicide.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]wrongleyformedemail[/nom]When has apple actually put the latest and greatest in their product at a price equal to that of the tech?[/citation]

Maybe you never heard of the iPhone4S.. The PowerVR SGX543MP2 was the most power GPU you could buy in a phone for almost a year.. Only now, a year later, have other devices come that can actually compete with it..

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I highly doubt iOS needs another 2 cores. It runs great with merely 2 cores (shocking from Android perspective!) thanks to its tighter integration with hardware. Quad cores would just be a waste of precious battery life.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]it's called laziness...the manufacturers need to step it up...why does everyone get 4 cores yet we only get two?....who is controlling this crap?[/citation]
[citation][nom]celltech12345[/nom]The cell phone network could care less what processor you have in the phone...this is a compatibility issue between the CPU and RF chipset.[/citation]
[citation][nom]englandr753[/nom]Unless the network is making changes to support quads, I'm certain, as usual, that the US market will get a downgraded product compared to the rest of the world thanks to the market being comfortable charging what they do with lagging services compared to the rest of the world.[/citation]
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So why does LTE eats 2 cores?[/citation]
[citation][nom]SlitelyOff[/nom]Why don't quad cores work with LTE? What does a signal/communication protocol have to do with the number of CPU's?[/citation]
LTE modems are big battery consumers, two additional cores are also. It's a simple logic, giving customer the best viable product. Americans are big on LTE while rest of the world is not so much. No SoC maker beside Nvidia feels that it's viable to pair quad core CPU and LTE modem because of power consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.