Rumor: Maple Story Publisher Bidding For EA Takeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Something just clicked in my brain... what if Nexon wants EA to take them over so that EA realises that they can make a lot of money through free-to-play systems, instead of screwing over their real customers who buy their products to curb piracy.

Suddenly loving Nexon!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]anacandor[/nom]Something just clicked in my brain... what if Nexon wants EA to take them over so that EA realises that they can make a lot of money through free-to-play systems, instead of screwing over their real customers who buy their products to curb piracy. Suddenly loving Nexon![/citation]

lol i guess your brain doesn't click much does it

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
What makes you think share holders want a change? The increase in share price is due to speculators and auto trading schemes, and an increase happens for *any* company that's in the news to be acquired. Interpreting that as a desire for the company to be sold is at best a stab in the dark. EA is struggling because EA has made a habit of bending their paying customers over time and again, all the while pushing mostly defective, bug ridden products and calling it a Triple-A release.

Their problem is a primary focus on net-profit instead of a primary focus on customers. If you have a good product, support it, and treat your customers properly, making money is never an issue because they will come in droves.

Case in point, LOTRO (Turbine) vs SWTOR (EA/Bioware). Played both of these prior to and post launch. LOTRO had minor issues unresolved at launch. SWTOR has had some of the same most glaringly obvious bugs since beta -- in JULY. When they do fix bugs, they often break something else in the process. "We broke battle rez in ops, but at least the rhythm augmentation droid is fixed, right?" Turbine has phone support that in my 3 experiences calling were very fast to answer, were American, and didn't tell you they don't handle anything in game. SWTOR has long hold times, an all foreign call center (though tier 3 support are Canadians, which is fine) and won't handle anything but billing/account issues.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I think battlefield 3 is my last EA game. EA logic, buy our partially make product, buy more when we release DLC.

If I spent $60 on the game I wasnt even sure it i will be my only $60 for the same.Instead of getting more free DLC as thankyou, I get more DLC that want more money from me.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]patfactorx[/nom]EA needs new leadership badly. They are destroying great game franchises.[/citation]

Like that's going to fix anything. EA will never change.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
*victory dance* eat that EA! You arent worthy of any tear hahaha sucka! thats what u get for murdering my favorite franchise aka NFS / C&C / SoF!!

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]sdfkjn34[/nom]doubt it can get any worse[/citation]
So true.

I hope EA becomes more customer focused and puts more time into their Origin BETA project they've imposed on the paying customers.

An example of the terrible Origin implementation is I installed PGA Tour 2012 last night. After the install, Origin would not successfully launch the game. So I tried to launch BF3 and it wouldn't launch either resulting in a hung BF3.exe process. I had to cancel the process through task manager. After repeatedly trying to launch BF3, I had to uninstall and re-install BF3 to successfully pass the 'Logging in...' phase. After the re-install of BF3, I was able to play BF3 and PGA Tour 2012.

I have wasted so many hours re-installing BF3 due to unsuccessful launches coupled with the Origin BETA product's inability to gracefully end its own process when clicking the 'Close Game' button. After the last update, even a reboot won't give me a successful launch of the game. If EA can't even get the launch part of process right with the Origin BETA product, they shouldn't force it on the customer.

Even though MW3 is so remedial in comparison to BF3, it's looking better and better daily due to the lack of hassle Steam gives me.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
EA's stock was trading close to a 52-week low as the games publisher struggles to move away from physical distribution to a more modern digital distribution.

You know if they hadn't stopped providing new releases on steam then things may not be so bad.......

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Yeah, give EA a taste of their own medicine! I like this Nexon buyout news. They couldn't possibly do any worse than EA is doing. I think it would be a positive for gaming if Nexon took over EA, fired the entire executive staff, and started instituting consumer-first policies. Nexon has a solid lineup of successful games.

I suppose if Nexon bought EA and somehow managed to find a way to screw up worse than they did then it would be some sort of poetic justice. EA has been ravaging the games industry for years with their acquisitions. While I don't want to see my gaming options limited, I also would enjoy seeing one of the most anti-consumer companies, EA, fail.

Go Nexon!

G

I'm surprised there hasn't been any negative posts about Nexon here.

I'm not really familiar with EA, as I've only played one of their games (Alice: Madness) in recent years. However, after having played Vindictus (a Nexon published game) for the past year, I wonder if this is such a good idea. Nexon has had non-stop problems with hacking, connectivity issues, and some of the worst customer service I've seen in recent years. For example, it normally takes about 6 months to get back to people about account hacking, but issues with the cash shop are resolved in a few days. I'm not kidding or exaggerating at all - check their forums. This is just Vindictus. To my understanding, their biggest cash cow, Maple Story, has much worse problems.

What about the games they put out? While they are certainly start out strong, within a year the content updates have been lackluster...and that's putting it nicely. A couple new monsters you can fight once a day or three times a week isn't really what I'd call much content. Again, this is only Vindictus, but that is their biggest budget game they've released in years.

Do you really want EA to be bought out by such a company? Perhaps Nexon KR or JP isn't ss bad, but Nexon NA is simply awful. If this sounds like an improvement for EA, then both companies need to tank or learn how to treat their customers properly.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
How can a company that makes $1.2 billion per year in revenue buy a company that makes 1.06 billion per year in revenue. This reminds me of that rapper who wanted to buy RIM.

If they can hold on to their Star wars subscribers, it'll turn out to be a big source of cash. Unfortunately, I hear a lot of people are already quitting it.

G

-------------------- Beayn wrote --------------------

How can a company that makes $1.2 billion per year in revenue buy a company that makes 1.06 billion per year in revenue. This reminds me of that rapper who wanted to buy RIM.

If they can hold on to their Star wars subscribers, it'll turn out to be a big source of cash. >>>>Fortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.