Rumor: Next iPhone to be 'iPhone HD', Use A4 SoC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Oh god, HD HD HD HD. People, please, stop ranting on about "HD". It's undefined, like the length of a piece of string.
Also, who cares about 'HD' movies on a smaller screen? It's barely worth it. Having a massive PPI on a tiny tiny display is worthless. It may make an image look crisper, or clearer, but I'd rather have a huge PPI on a bigger screen. HDTVs, 40", maybe 60", maybe 80", maybe 100+", and yet they all have only the same amount of pixels which all get stretched, eventually making this 'HD' seem lower 'D' than the older TV sets to me. I'm happy with my high PPI laptop screen, which is '720p' (god I hate that term) and is only 15.4". Looks a lot crisper than those pointless 1 Gajillon inch 'HDTVs'

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]filmman03[/nom]eh... lets not forget, you brought up the Zune HD.[/citation]
Yes, because it is below standard defintion, in contrast to these specifications (which is why I brought it up).

[citation][nom]filmman03[/nom]I simply stated that the iPhone "HD" really won't display HD content.[/citation]
It is higher than Standard definition. I would call that High Definition. It can display high definition media. I would say it's HD on all facets.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Yes, because it is below standard defintion, in contrast to these specifications (which is why I brought it up).It is higher than Standard definition. I would call that High Definition. It can display high definition media. I would say it's HD on all facets.[/citation]

wow. ill reiterate, yes it will play HD, but you aren't seeing true HD. This goes back to the VGA Monitor comment I explained.

i work with HD and SD on a daily basis, and yet you still don't quite understand the difference.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]The Zune HD doesn't have an HD screen, but can downsample 720p content. I'm not saying that's HD. [/citation]
The Zune HD does have HD Radio built in, and unless I'm missing something, no one has ever said the HD in Zune HD stood for HD video, it could very well stand for HD Radio, meaning it is not a false claim but very much real. Everyone just assumes you mean video when you say HD, which could be very wrong in the case of the Zune HD :p

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
[citation][nom]mheager[/nom]Why buy anything from apple???They have to approve all apps before you can use them.Imagine how crappy windows would be if Microsoft did that.There would be no competition whatsoever.[/citation]

LOL! One of the primary PROBLEMS with windows is the rampant crapware. With 150k Apps on the App Store, it's not like Apple is blocking Apps left and right. There's more than you could ever dream of using. Beyond that, there's a TON of competition. Look up any app and see 4-5 competitors.

As for competing Apps to what Apple offers, the only things that are unlikely to be approved are competitors to the core phone app and browser app, and both for good reason. I'd like to see Opera on the iPhone but on the flip side, can you blame them? If MS could get away with it, they would make Internet Explorer the exlusive Windows app.

Apple isn't the devil, their genius business people. And guess what? 90% of the people out there won't give a rip that there isn't an alternative phone app or browser app. Everything else already has 3rd party apps (weather, notes, stocks, etc)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]LOL! One of the primary PROBLEMS with windows is the rampant crapware. With 150k Apps on the App Store, it's not like Apple is blocking Apps left and right. There's more than you could ever dream of using. Beyond that, there's a TON of competition. Look up any app and see 4-5 competitors.As for competing Apps to what Apple offers, the only things that are unlikely to be approved are competitors to the core phone app and browser app, and both for good reason. I'd like to see Opera on the iPhone but on the flip side, can you blame them? If MS could get away with it, they would make Internet Explorer the exlusive Windows app.Apple isn't the devil, their genius business people. And guess what? 90% of the people out there won't give a rip that there isn't an alternative phone app or browser app. Everything else already has 3rd party apps (weather, notes, stocks, etc)[/citation]
Oh, yeah. Good fella Jobbs cares about you dude! If not him, you would be able to choose between, say, Opera browser and Safari, which, in turn, could harm your brain (making a choice is hard)

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Oh please Apple, name it iPhone HD, then for the change it will be HTC's turn to sue you for copying the name of one of their popular devices ;-)

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]I would rather have a non-hd android device than have to stare at a crystal clear iphone[/citation]

Luckily, the Droid and Nexus One both have higher-res displays than the iPhone, so you can have your cake and eat it too!

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]I would rather have a non-hd android device than have to stare at a crystal clear iphone[/citation]
good thing the evo4g is coming out and it has an hdmi out lol

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]triplanetary[/nom]Luckily, the Droid and Nexus One both have higher-res displays than the iPhone, so you can have your cake and eat it too![/citation]
That's what I got, the Droid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.