Rumor: Wii U Will Cost Nintendo $180 and Retail for $300

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Since the Wii came out, Nintendo has been dead to me. I'm all for providing better games, but they don't actually do that. The games on the Wii were terrible. Having a cheaper console does not mean that they spent more effort on the games, it actually means they have to spend more time getting the games to work on inferior hardware and less time actually making the games any good.

The Wii was all about the gimmicky controller which just didn't translate into decent gameplay at all. Since this generation seems to be following the same route with the new touch screen controller I can see them selling a ton of them to the 'casual' market and those people will buy a couple of games and then never touch it again. Same as the Wii. However, Nintendo did make a ton of money on the Wii, so this will sadly probably be successful financially too.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
garbage is garbage. In a world where systems are designed to please clueless and technological ignorant investors there really is no point in getting excited with so called "next generation" consoles. Any console made now and in the future will always be few a generations behind current PC technology. That is how it's going to be. Investors are the limiting factor in building a great console. I think Sony and MS should go private and screw investors. They can do it, they have enough capital do so....For now its better to stick with PC. Though everyone has their opinion.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I'm sorry, I couldn't say I care what an "unnamed" anonymous source says or thinks. I've got an unnamed source that says Kevin Parrish walks into restaurants and randomly eats other's dinners. It's already been said but this entire article is based on misleading sensationalism that makes it pretty obvious where the writer's bias lies.

I find it incredible that these so called "gamers" are so readily bad mouthing the only company that seems to want to get itself on a track to making games. Do you think Sony and MS aren't doing everything they can to lick the boots of their investors? Investors aren't gamers. They are people who just want to see profits and think they are the only ones who know how to make them. Most of these investors likely jumped on Nintendo right when they started seeing dollar signs on the Wii. They do not trust the company that's been doing this for roughly 30 years and once saved the console industry from collapse. I thank anyone who doesn't just roll over and bow down to every whim their investors tell them.

Good graphics do not make good games. Good graphics are frequently the cause of bad games. An immersive experience is great, but not when all your effort goes into that alone. The NES was hardly "immersive", but obviously people still played it. "We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers." I agree with this completely. If you don't think the gameplay is more important than the graphics, then no, you aren't a gamer. You're an ape that likes to see pretty flashing colors.

The real question is whether or not Nintendo themselves really understand what's fun. Gimmicks can be fun, but they can also be repetitive. You can't rely on your devices any more than you can rely on your graphics. Not every single thing has to revolve around using the newest latest gadget. Take Skyward Sword for example. Swinging a controller like a sword, kind of fun when no one's watching. Doing every single little thing with a precise movement of that controller when the controller is NOT precise enough to do it, not as fun. They already have experience with utilizing touch screens though. Did everyone forget the DS has a touch screen control? Sometimes useful, sometimes repetitive.

[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Don't quit your day job, Industry analyst isn't for you.[/citation]

BTW, he's clearly in the same league as most professional "analysts" and "speculators". Make a random prediction, pat yourself on the back if it's right. Economic weathermen.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]beavermml[/nom]why must almost all people in Toms always compare the hardware? i mean it is useless if it has all the greatest hardware BUT the games sucks.. yes u can all say that graphics is sooo real its look alive and so on but the thing that keeps us on playing the game is its gameplay/storyline.. if u just want to have great graphics.. just go watch some CGI.i mean, i played wii games much more than my ps3 ( collecting dust right now ).. as long as the console provide enjoyable games its okay of the graphic is just 2D... i am waiting for the wiiu to come out and wanted to see what kind of games that take advantage of the new controller.. i mean ever since the ps2 and xbox, new games just seem to prioritize on graphics and graphics and graphics... not on content and gameplay.... pls stop trashing the hardware until the software comes out... people buy consoles not becoz of its graphical powers but for the ease of it.. sure u can build $1000 gaming pc but u also have to setup all the drivers, the OS and bla bla bla while all the console players just need to pop up the DVD/bluray and play...[/citation] your doing it wrong you should have bought Demon souls and Dark souls. The latter will be coming to pc in august so maybe you should just buy demon souls.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]shawn808[/nom]While you guy bicker over unreleased hardware...Ill be playing Super Smash Brothers in 1080p with the dolphin Emulator[/citation]Isn't the Dolphin Emulator for Gamecube/Wii? But the good smash Bros was on N64--the physics are so much better and it's faster.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
$50 tablet controller? Wow, that's pretty much saying it'll be slow, unresponsive and the screen will be terrible on it. In a sea of touch phones and tablets, the pad will be compared to tablets and because of this it'll almost certainly be slated.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Graphics don't mean a damn thing if the games are not fun. You can pump all the hardware you want into a machine and have the most awesome graphics ever... but if the games suck, then the console sucks. Sorry, but I don't buy games based on their graphics alone.I'm perfectly fine with Nintendo scaling back their hardware, just as long as the games they release for it are fun.[/citation]
How is it good value for money though paying for outdated hardware? It's not; you're being ripped off. There is no excuse for poor graphics nowadays and graphics play a large role in immersion. Nintendo are just being cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.