Safest operating system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Malware's becoming a major PITA. Exposure risks...even if you try to be safe...are just increasing, and removal is getting to be HARD. So what I am considering is devoting a relatively small box to nothing but the web. Why? If I have to absolutely wipe the box and reinstall, all I'd lose is browser bookmarks.

So...the two options springing to mind are Chrome and Ubuntu. They can also both run on quite inexpensive hardware. Comments on these? Or any other options I should consider? Windows is clearly overkill, and clearly NOT safe. Yes, I can load up on 3 or 4 levels of malware protection in Windows...but that also causes false-blocking problems. (I've seen Avira do this.) If that's the best choice...well...ok. I'll go that way. I'm investigating options.

Solution
VMware player will run on windows 7, 8 and 10 and even windows vista. Just fyi. Unless you talking about the guest, which would be the actual virtual machine. Windows 10 is fine but you can still buy windows 7 and 8.1 keys if your really concerned about it. Of course the guest could run linux if your really opposed to windows.

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
You're right on the wired VM on a wirelest host thing :). They have less to worry about just treating it as ethernet.

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015

I would certainly hope so, but it's not much of a straw-man fallacy because the comment was intentionally founded on wit and facetiousness. As I said, rebuilding (updating) the live-distribution is a little more complex and a lot less orthodox when compared to the usual venues. Is it really worth it? That depends on the cards you're holding. If you're Julian Assange, I'd say "yes." But, as you poignantly noted, such a question wouldn't be asked on these forums :).