Solved! Sager NP5165 upgrades?

CakesandPianos

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hey all,
I'm off to college, and I want a good laptop that will last me for the next 4 years.
I want it to do all the usual stuff like word processing, but also be very enjoyable to use for the occasional movie or game.
I've been checking out the Sager NP5165, and peeps are saying they have good build worksmanship, and the price seems good too.
I'm wondering, what upgrades should I be getting on it? How about the cooling upgrade, the diamond thermal compound? Is it good and worth it?
Is the wireless card upgrades important, or can I just stick with the basic component?
Anything at all, to inform me to make a wiser purchase would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks all!

Solution
which website are you looking at? I'm going to assume xoticpc

Since you won't be playing with your CPU around much, I'd say get the thermal compound upgrade, that way they'll put it in when they assemble the machine making double sure that the initial TC doesn't dry out too soon.

As far as cooling upgrade, I'm not sure what that is or if it's worth it. If you can find out from the company exactly what that entails someone could tell you if it's worth it.

As far as I've seen, 5165 should be base i7-2630 with a pretty decent GPU.

So, if it is not, I'd recommend to get 2630 and at least GT550 or GTX460/560 if you can afford

the rest is kind of preference thing and the matter if you wish to pay for it or not.

AntiZig

Distinguished
which website are you looking at? I'm going to assume xoticpc

Since you won't be playing with your CPU around much, I'd say get the thermal compound upgrade, that way they'll put it in when they assemble the machine making double sure that the initial TC doesn't dry out too soon.

As far as cooling upgrade, I'm not sure what that is or if it's worth it. If you can find out from the company exactly what that entails someone could tell you if it's worth it.

As far as I've seen, 5165 should be base i7-2630 with a pretty decent GPU.

So, if it is not, I'd recommend to get 2630 and at least GT550 or GTX460/560 if you can afford

the rest is kind of preference thing and the matter if you wish to pay for it or not.

Solution