Solved! Same brand different specs?

Feb 6, 2019
Is it possible to have supposedly identical products with different specs or the same specs but one machine is substantially worse than the other. I am referring to models that originate from different countries eg Lenovo T480 . The model is the same but one was $300 AUD less than the other one.

I know that cameras have 'grey' unofficial products but do they have this in computers as well?

Solution
Pricing in foreign countries can vary by a lot due to taxes, import fees, duties, tariffs, whatever the politicians call things. I am pretty sure Australia has high computer and electronic costs, so not odd that another country would have them cheaper. There can be also variations in the T480 models, screen type, drive type, warranty length. If you get a system with a 1080 screen vs a 768 one, and one has a 250 gb SSD vs a standard drive, some may have a better add-on video card, there is $300 there, so is 1 yr vs 3 year warranties.
Feb 6, 2019
Unfortunately no. It relates to a South Pacific country.
The order (50 laptops) was for Lenovo T480 . We sourced from a Lenovo dealer in Australia.

An opposition company was quoting at $300 less per unit. They apparently had Indian connections and were quoting based on that . In Australia the market is very tight with not a huge difference in price.

When I did a search using Google Shopping search. I found only 2 available here. This led me to believe that Lenovo had removed this model. In fact that is true. It led me to wonder if there was something other than stupidity to explain this. The South Pacific is awash with defective equipment.

I was curious to see if the same situation could be correct. For example a camera that looks like an official Canon camera identical to one you would buy here may not in fact be one at all . They refer to it as the 'grey' market.

Pricing in foreign countries can vary by a lot due to taxes, import fees, duties, tariffs, whatever the politicians call things. I am pretty sure Australia has high computer and electronic costs, so not odd that another country would have them cheaper. There can be also variations in the T480 models, screen type, drive type, warranty length. If you get a system with a 1080 screen vs a 768 one, and one has a 250 gb SSD vs a standard drive, some may have a better add-on video card, there is $300 there, so is 1 yr vs 3 year warranties.

Solution