Samsung Cites Sci-Fi Movies, TV in Apple Tablet Defence

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blobos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I don't get it, there were plenty of other tablets before iPad came out, why does it seem like people think Apple made the first tablet?

blobos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I don't get it, there were plenty of other tablets before iPad came out, why does it seem like people think Apple made the first tablet?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Seriously? This is the best Samsung can come up with? So what now, those that invent a time machine in the future won't be able to claim a patent because Sci-Fi movies from the 70's showed a time machine?Stupid.[/citation]
Actually, it is prior art. If any company comes out with a two-way wrist communicator that has video on it, they cannot patent it. Dick Tracy had it first. It is a simple matter of patent law - at least in the US. My guess is that in the US, the design patent that crApple holds will become null and void because of this. It is surprising that the patent examiners did not catch this before issuing the patent.

That also means that Samsung cannot patent the idea either. In fact, since it was 43 years ago, the "design" is now public domain. Anyone can use it, and, IMHO, shame on crApple for trying to patent it.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i love this.please tell me that apple gets pattents stripped one by one due to sci fi tv shows, movies, and books, all of which describe apples "innovations" and pattens.[/citation]
Perhaps. IMHO, it is likely that the disputed design patent will be rendered null and void because of this. The iPad is not substantially different than the device shown in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]blobos[/nom]I don't get it, there were plenty of other tablets before iPad came out, why does it seem like people think Apple made the first tablet?[/citation]
Hipsters and the uneducated masses

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Comeon apple haters, despite how ridiculous some of apple's lawsuits are, this is also pretty bad. I mean, really, a movie?? How can you cite a bit of CGI as defense in a lawsuit?[/citation]
Apple is suing based on "their" ideas they patented and movies are based on what ??

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Seriously? So what now, those that invent a time machine...[/citation]
I know it's too hard for fanboys to comprehend, but I'll still give it a try:

If all you invent would be A SHAPE of the time machine (working tablets are tens of years old), and if that shape would be shown in some ancient TV shown, then yes, you won't be able to sue anyone using THAT SHAPE.

G

Apple din't invent the tablet they just made them popular.
The format is a result of the inovations that made possible to have a slim design tablet.
I think that apple is not right regarding the tablet design.

I think that the problem with Samsung may have to do with Android OS. For example I dont remember of anyone using gestures to zoom in and zoom out pictures before Iphone. But the same is true for the notification bar on Android (that Apple is copying in OS 5).

Even the Iphone wasnt revolutionary, after all there were already PDA's with touch screen and cell phones before Iphone.

G

You can't deny that Apple was the first to deliver a smart phone that didn't support Copy/Paste!

G

now all Samsung has to do is find a movie with swipe finger gesture for browsing photos, quick to the movie archives (although if i were a betting man i think blade runner might be a good enough place to start)

G

@richardbender

and thus begins the corruption of history..... you might want to check out the Nokia communicator or Ericsson R380 (there's a good reason why Sony has not been the target of many cellphone lawsuits, they absorbed Ericsson's patent port folio), both are considered to be the first generation of smartphones, heck even the the SPV (better known as HTC canary) came out well before the iPhone was even conceived, all three lacked copy and paste

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Well if this is true.. I guess I could probably use this same defense to break an unbelieveable number of patents.. As I'm sure I can find a cartoon, or something, that sports prior "art" that would inable me to get away with anything.

Samsung, I expected better.

G

@scuba dave

erm dude, this relates to look and feel patents only, for instance, do you think Apple should be granted a patent on rounded off square icons in a grid formation had those same set of graphics been used in a movie prior to Apple's patent filing? How can Apple file for an original concept if it had already been executed

90% of Apple's law suit against Samsung is based upon look and feel, no where is a tech spec even mentioned, basically Apple is telling Samsung to make their tablet/phone look less like Apple's (thus the doctored photos), except with this evidence Samsung can simply say we not making our stuff look like yours, we making it look like the stuff from this movie which coincidentally came out 49 years before your phone/tablet, which is IMHO a very good defense

G

@dsolom3

Good catch, i always thought Minority Report came out after the iPhone, i guess it must be all the brain washing, damn it i thought i was immune to the distortion field, someone quick send this to Samsung.....

G

The guy who tried to patent the invention of the waterbed failed to accomplish the patent because it had been written about in a 1961 sci-fi novel by Robert A. Heinlein. This is an excellent defense of "prior art"...

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
samsung is just trying to prove a point, that apple has always stolen others ideas and technology and reinvent it to shape apples vision. But everyone always have known that, except maybe the mass of sheeps that buy apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.