Samsung Confirms 1.4GHz Galaxy S

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Before they even think about that they should fix us Galaxy S owners up and let us use all 512MB of RAM on our phones instead of just the lame 300MB..

Soooo many things would run so much smoother if we could utilize the extra 200MB..

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Samsung created a fine piece of hardware that unfortunately contains poorly implemented software. Luckily for us, rooting your phone and finding a nice ROM on XDA developers certainly circumvents this. A 2.2 build with ext4 file extensions should provide ample performance boost (It tripled my quadrant score). As for matching these overclocked 2011 models, there is nothing to worry about. when I feel my galaxy s phone is falling behind the curve, I'll flash a modified kernel overclocking it to 1.4 ghz and beyond.

What I really want, however, is a way to overclock the PowerVR 540. The new OMAP 4430 contains an overclocked PowerVR 540 and benchmarks show that outshines Tegra 2 in some tests. If anybody knows a way, let me know.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Before they even think about that they should fix us Galaxy S owners up and let us use all 512MB of RAM on our phones instead of just the lame 300MB..Soooo many things would run so much smoother if we could utilize the extra 200MB..[/citation]

but allowing you to use your device to it's fullest would mean that they will have to actually make a new device instead of just making a small software changes and then selling the same device as something new and price gouging for it.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Before they even think about that they should fix us Galaxy S owners up and let us use all 512MB of RAM on our phones instead of just the lame 300MB..Soooo many things would run so much smoother if we could utilize the extra 200MB..[/citation]
What do you think the OS runs on? Air? Oh noes they just keep the RAM hidden to make the phone lighter.
What a Great idea give people the right to use the OS reserved memory so when they load up apps and overextend the OS crashes or locks up. Smart, i tell you!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
HAPPY APRIL FOOLS TOMS HARDWARE
microsoft out did you changing my date to may 1st when the clock rolled over, was trying to figure out how microsoft security essentials said its virus definition was out of date and hadn't been scanned in 7 days yet it had the same definition number when i hit update and had just let it scan the previous night!
ooh hahahahaha very funny microsoft!

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]amazing... phones are more powerfull than my first PC... AMD duron 800mhz, 512mb ram, geforce 400mx[/citation]
Uhm NO! You must first read up on CPU architectures and that simply comparing frequencies wont do it, the x86 architecture is nothing like a mobile processor.

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Actually, yeah. Seriously, get over the speed and concentrate on RAM and, more importantly, battery life.

Please!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]What do you think the OS runs on? Air? Oh noes they just keep the RAM hidden to make the phone lighter.What a Great idea give people the right to use the OS reserved memory so when they load up apps and overextend the OS crashes or locks up. Smart, i tell you![/citation]

I'm sorry I should have mentioned that my other Android devices have 512MB of RAM and up to 450MB of that is accessible to programs.

Do you even own a Android device? The galaxy S keeps 100MB for the OS and another 100MB for the radio's when only 20MB of it is really needed.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
EDIT: I mean out of the 100MB reserved for the wireless radio's only 20MB is needed, not 20mb out of the total 200MB of reserved RAM.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Uhm NO! You must first read up on CPU architectures and that simply comparing frequencies wont do it, the x86 architecture is nothing like a mobile processor.[/citation]

Very true but I'm no genius about this either. What x86 processor do you think would be beaten by the new dual core snapdragon going into the EVO 3D.
I had a 300mhz intel P2 with 128mb ram. We have to at least to be close to beating that thing

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
April fools or who cares.

They'd rather push their dual-core models for the rest of the world.

Samsung needs to fix their issues with their current GalaxyS phones... the screen is great - but the rest of the hardware (how it feels to use its buttons) is a not so good. *I* could design a better phone body than Samasung.

Wish Motorola had their model out when I got my Samsung last OCT... screen isn't as good, but the form factor is.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]April fools or who cares.They'd rather push their dual-core models for the rest of the world.Samsung needs to fix their issues with their current GalaxyS phones... the screen is great - but the rest of the hardware (how it feels to use its buttons) is a not so good. *I* could design a better phone body than Samasung.Wish Motorola had their model out when I got my Samsung last OCT... screen isn't as good, but the form factor is.[/citation]
It's all about the ALU's, the embeded functions into the CPU, the mobile one is missing them so its forces to work bare handed while the x86 intruction set is a lot richer, even if the CPU is slower the fact that he's using a digging machine instead of his bare hands makes it a lot of times faster, this also depends on the software that runs some of it does not require those functions in that case the mobile cpu could be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.