Samsung Denies Smart TV Snooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
The voice command function really doesn't work that well anyway, best not used IMO.

One thing I'd like to know though: how does the voice come system ensure it
does not mistakenly respond to relevant spoken dialogue coming from a TV
programme or movie one is watching?

Ian.

Noise cancellation 101. Typically, any audio transmitted over the speakers is subtracted from the input the microphone picks up. It's not perfect because the shape and contents of the room distort the sound coming from the speakers by the time the mic picks it up. But it's better than the alternative of just leaving the noise in there. All video and voice conferencing apps and devices do this. Your phone does it too if you're using it in speakerphone mode.

G

Imagine all the saucy things you say to your SO in front of the television... Yeah, I don't want some engineer to analyse that.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Andy, I hope you don't own a smartphone or a tablet, because they do the same "snooping".

This "story" is a typical red herring created by bloggers to create FUD and generate clicks.

The lack of morals in modern media is a real concern. Too bad no one in media is man enough to deal with that problem.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
"Furthermore, Nuance Communications is a far cry from the NSA or advertisers."

If the data is there, it is accessible by the NSA. That is why people have a concern about this. Listening to Samsung say "oh we have decided to only share it with X person, so you're good" isn't making anyone feel better. Having the information in the first place is what is alarming to people, not what Samsung is CURRENTLY doing with it.

Data needs to be protected. Policies that explain what is being done with the data are not sufficient to protect it's use. I think with the NSA information recently as well as the constant large profile hacks (think Sony, Anthem, Target, etc), people could care less what your privacy policy says you do with the data. They care that you have it in the first place.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
i remember reading awhile ago about Smart TVs sending the data even when you have the functionality disabled.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
To me, the most amazing part of this story is the fact that it seems that Samsung actually thinks people will believe this CYA attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.