Samsung Designs Galaxy Nexus to Bypass Apple Patents

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Douche-baggery was not the fact Apple bought Siri, it was the fact that Siri was available on iPhone 3GS and 4... but they took it off to make it a 4S-exclusive feature.[/citation]

This is also a fair point. It would have been better for their customers if they made Siri available to iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G users. I have an iPhone 4 and I personally wouldn't use Siri anyway - I think it's a gimmick - but I can imagine many 3G and iPhone 4 users are a bit annoyed. As you are probably getting at though, they did this purely for financial reasons - it makes the customer suffer ,but not enough to stop them buying more phones overall. It gives them a USP for the iPhone 4S which has probably made them a lot more money than the customers they annoy has lost them. I know ideally they would be a 'nice' company and give it to all of the old phones, but to be honest I respect the fact they want to make money and it seems a solid financial decision from a business point of view. Of course, they would also argue that they have added more value to the system than was available previously (as an app), as well as offering direct integration throughout the phone - but having never tried the app or Siri, I can't confirm or deny this.

I'm glad you recognise that the purchase itself was not a bad or immoral move. Again, you seem to be looking at it from a reasonable perspective.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Djhg2000[/nom]Samsung should tell Apple this: "Due to current circumstances we are sorry to inform you of a 30% distribution cost increase regarding LCD panels. At this time we are unable do disclose any further details."Should be a big enough finger right to the face of Apples lawyers.[/citation]

I think this would cost Samsung more money than Apple.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]See, this is a common misconception. You say that Android phones have better specs - but that is just not true.The CPU/GPU in the iPhone 4S is the fastest available in any smart phone, full stop. I repeat, the CPU/GPU in the iPhone 4S is the fastest you can get in any phone. If you want power, specifications, then the iPhone 4S is the current leader. The second best is Samsung Galaxy S2 - and then below that is the Nexus Prime. If you take into account the price, Samsung is slightly cheaper, so - it seems to me that both prices are reasonable. If you pay less for Samsung, you get less performance as a result. The 1.2 mhz processors in Android phones are often inferior to the 1mhz A5 chip in Apple, lots get carried away with mhz but really it's a false logic, much like Intel vs AMD clock speeds don't represent performance.Regarding USB, fair enough - I personally would just plug the phone into a pc, and plug the USB into that - drag and drop the files - doesn't take any extra time and doesn't cause any inconvenience. Fair enough that you're open to other operating systems, and at least you make the reasonable points that the Samsung is cheaper and has USB connectivity, you seem to be far more balanced than a lot of people on here. The only area where I disagree is that you don't recognise that the iPhone 4S is the current performance leader.:)[/citation]

I've seen benchmarks - 4S does beat SGS2 in most. When I talk about "specs", I don't mean CPU/GPU - I don't game on my cell phone, I have a PC for that. As long as it's smooth in the menu and browsing/HD playback, I'm fine. No, I'm talking about same little things that I would be looking for in a cell phone 5 years old - features. Connectivity, different ports... USB-on-the-Go almost bought N8 for me, and your argument about plugging in the phone into a PC is irrelevant, since I'd like to be able to read all the USB devices on the go, as the feature's name suggests; and I'd like to connect to any HDMI screen I want to, not just at home.

What I meant with Android software not caring about being slowed down due to better specs was the fact that 4S has 512MB RAM, while most top Android phones have 1GB. Thus apps can take more memory, if they want to.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I've seen benchmarks - 4S does beat SGS2 in most. When I talk about "specs", I don't mean CPU/GPU - I don't game on my cell phone, I have a PC for that. As long as it's smooth in the menu and browsing/HD playback, I'm fine. No, I'm talking about same little things that I would be looking for in a cell phone 5 years old - features. Connectivity, different ports... USB-on-the-Go almost bought N8 for me, and your argument about plugging in the phone into a PC is irrelevant, since I'd like to be able to read all the USB devices on the go, as the feature's name suggests; and I'd like to connect to any HDMI screen I want to, not just at home.What I meant with Android software not caring about being slowed down due to better specs was the fact that 4S has 512MB RAM, while most top Android phones have 1GB. Thus apps can take more memory, if they want to.[/citation]

Are you really walking around plugging a USB drive into your smartphone? I mean, that's quite a backwards and old-hat requirement, given the amount of storage on phones and that most people these days use cloud storage through Dropbox etc. You can get an HDMI cable for iPhones, so HDMI argument is irrelevant. You can do it wirelessly too, on your own TV - a feature no Android phone offers.

The RAM is irrelevant because the multi-tasking is managed much more efficiently on iPhone because iOS is written specifically for it. Android has historically been the more laggy. Remember, both Android and iPhone 4S are now hardware accelerated, so given that the iPhone 4S wins ALL of the CPU/GPU performance benchmarks, that means better performance in the UI too, not just for gaming. It affects every single app you ever run. This is backed up having played around with the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it feeling sluggish despite having what 'sounds' like good specs on paper.

You get what you pay for with the iPhone 4S

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Samsung seems to do everything in their power to copy Apple, on all possible aspects, including marketing. In France there are huge posters with Samsung Galaxy S2: Now available in White! Does that remind you of anything...?

G

@watcha

"I think this would cost Samsung more money than Apple"

there are only 3 major LCD fabricators in the world, of those only two can hit mass production volumes, LG and Samsung, both of whom have been running their LCD factories at full capacity for a long while now, nearly every single device in modern times sports some kind of screen or other, any loss of order from Apple would easily be filled by many more manufacturers who might need LCDs, it's not like Apple is paying Samsung above market value for their LCDs, so i highly doubt that Samsung would be hurting all that much

G

"Who designed the first touchscreen phone? "

It wasn't apple, do your research.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
The day will come when apple products become very targeted platforms for malice, and that day they will be severely unprepared because they have zero experience dealing with malware threats. Even sweeping them under the rug to make users think otherwise. I hope that becomes the instrument of their undoing when karma finally goes full cycle.

Other issues aside, this kind of crap is having a hideous effect on our national economy and the world economy. It should be stopped before (while?) it causes a global catastrophe on the order of the financial meltdown. Moving all the money from invention and production to suing and defending will destroy productivity.

jez158

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Imagine the full potential if their were no such Patent issues, stupid Apple. But i'm hoping when the phone actually releases its a lot cheaper then already described.

http://www.galaxynexus.org/buy-galaxy-nexus/ - has a list of all the stores selling them outright, and they seem a tad on the expensive side.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]@watcha"I think this would cost Samsung more money than Apple"there are only 3 major LCD fabricators in the world, of those only two can hit mass production volumes, LG and Samsung, both of whom have been running their LCD factories at full capacity for a long while now, nearly every single device in modern times sports some kind of screen or other, any loss of order from Apple would easily be filled by many more manufacturers who might need LCDs, it's not like Apple is paying Samsung above market value for their LCDs, so i highly doubt that Samsung would be hurting all that much[/citation]

If this was true, they would do it.

They aren't doing it.

Samsung makes a massive amount of its revenue from Apple. If it were to lose Apple as a customer, it couldn't replace them. There is no-one bigger. The difference is, Apple COULD replace Samsung, and in fact they are taking steps to make that happen already.

Status
Not open for further replies.