Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Receives Android 4.1.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I made a fuckton of dollars selling my farst to scientists. Fart it out!

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
No real groundbreaking changes here. But it patches in some useful features! Too bad I have the first Gnote...

Meanwhile, my Galaxy Note I runs 4.2 with all the Gnote II features. Custom roms are exactly like the stock ones: they take time. I can only thank Samsung for the unlocked bootloader in this case, makes my device last way longer than I would have thought. Especially with the quick release of the Gnote II.

G

Unless your on T-Mobile, where we cant even get 4.1.1 that supports multi-window without resorting to rooting the phone.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
"Status Bar has been changed from Grey to Black" Honestly, I didn't understand the aesthetic decision to make it grey, unless it was to mitigate the effects of screen burn-in.

emccalment

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
This news might excite me. If the phone wasn't more expensive than a new Surface tablet... as well as their 10" Note tablets. It's ridiculous. Even the price with a new 2 year agreement is out of control.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tijmen007[/nom]No real groundbreaking changes here. But it patches in some useful features! Too bad I have the first Gnote...Meanwhile, my Galaxy Note I runs 4.2 with all the Gnote II features. Custom roms are exactly like the stock ones: they take time. I can only thank Samsung for the unlocked bootloader in this case, makes my device last way longer than I would have thought. Especially with the quick release of the Gnote II.[/citation]

Also being an owner of the original Note, I have to disagree with you, Personally should not have to resort to Custom ROMS or jailbreaking just to get the latest Android OS. What this does show is how Samsung treats its customers that support their R&D for future models.

The Samsung Model is to buy a new phone if you want updates.

The Microsoft Model is to update your phone without manufacture/carrier intervention
The Apple Model is to update your phone without carrier intervention

In the last two examples, even if one of those two provides a crippled feature update, the end result is still the latest version of the OS making its way to your handset.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]"Status Bar has been changed from Grey to Black" Honestly, I didn't understand the aesthetic decision to make it grey, unless it was to mitigate the effects of screen burn-in.[/citation]
Making it grey to avoid burn-in also wouldn't make sense though. The AMOLED screen shuts the pixel off if it is displaying black, both to increase contrast and to save energy. Not sure why it was grey either.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]Making it grey to avoid burn-in also wouldn't make sense though. The AMOLED screen shuts the pixel off if it is displaying black, both to increase contrast and to save energy. Not sure why it was grey either.[/citation]
No, it does make sense. The idea is that the rest of the screen is getting more use, on average, than the areas covered by the status bar, so the parts of the screen that do show the bar will dim slower (end up brighter) than the rest of the screen. Also, the notification icons are going to tend to be in the same place.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]emccalment[/nom]This news might excite me. If the phone wasn't more expensive than a new Surface tablet... as well as their 10" Note tablets. It's ridiculous. Even the price with a new 2 year agreement is out of control.[/citation]
I got one for $256 after tax, on an existing contract. I consider it money well spent, but YMMV... :)

technologylover

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I just read an article about the Samsung Galaxy Note 3: http://www.talktechnews.co.uk/2013/10/21/samsung-galaxy-note-3-stupendously-big-or-brilliant/ and am now wondering if I should buy this or the Note 3. Is there much difference between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.