Samsung Galaxy S III to Have Quad-core CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]drumsrule786[/nom]I would only get tegra 3 for a quad core phone because it's 5th companion core would keep power usage super low when the phone isn't doing much. If you've got 4 cores on all the time the battery might as well be a lemon with some metal stuck in it[/citation]

Wait and see. Historically on notebooks and desktops Intel's figured out ways for cores to consume less power in idle mode. I expect that all major ARM licensees have accomplished similar feats, though Tegra 3's implementation sounds more promising.

Again, wait and see.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]these chips deactivate unused cores and more cores does not mean more power usage. As fabrication get smaller, things become more energy friendly. Atleast nVidia claims Tegra 3 with quad core is more efficient than Tegra 2.[/citation]

I think we can all agree that obsoleteness is relative. I, for one, am happy with my good ole' Samsung Intercept with Virgin Mobile. Sure, I'd like a faster processor and faster internet, but I can't complain at $25/mo!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Let's focus on improving the battery life tech now, eh?

I mean no matter how much hardware you throw at Android phones, it's still going to be slow. I had the opportunity to handle a Nexus S - dated yes, but still a capable phone. Navigation was a pain in the rear end to say the least. I doubt throwing more horsepower will improve this situation.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]these chips deactivate unused cores and more cores does not mean more power usage. As fabrication get smaller, things become more energy friendly. Atleast nVidia claims Tegra 3 with quad core is more efficient than Tegra 2.[/citation]

Claims from companies can always be misread or understood. It all depends on the figures they use and what it relates to. If a dual core Tegra 2 uses say 25units of power to run each core and then the Tegra 3 uses 20units per core, they can claim it is more energy efficient but if the cores are being used then the Tegra 2 uses 50units as opposed to the Tegra 3's use of 80units.
They can also claim more efficiency if the Tegra 3 has a higher performancec out put than the Tegra 2 per power unit used, even if the Tegra 3 actually uses much more power.
Mobile OS's will hit much higher levels of multi-threading over the next year or so these multi core chips will get used so power will be an issue. If it wasn't, why have multi cores in the first place?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
My Tegra2 powered Optimus 2X can barely last 8 hours under heavy load without dying out. I hope the Tegra3 lives up to nVidia claims of being more efficient, because these devices suck out a lot of power.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
What I don't understand is - if we can make a phone that has a quad core processor and is capable of producing 720p and 1080p gaming - why are high end desktop graphics cards still the size of my arm and require a wind tunnel to cool?

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not against the idea of a quad core phone, I'm just skeptical on the benefits Vs. cons.

Just like on the PC, if you have single threaded apps,you're not going to benefit from the additional cores.

I'm a firm believer in dual core procs though. Regardless of the platform or device.

I have the Galaxy S II phone. That's a dual core and it chews through the battery fast even running in power saving mode. I have to have a charger at home, work and in my car as I can't get through the day with just one charge. With my experience of a dual core proc, I would be nervous about a quad core unless they have mastered power usage. (Note: I love my Galaxy S II regardless)

I would prefer a smartphone that had better battery life than going quad core if I had a choice.

Before purchasing my first smartphone, I had your typical clam phone. I could go for days without charging. I miss those days from that perspective.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]DaddyW123[/nom]What I don't understand is - if we can make a phone that has a quad core processor and is capable of producing 720p and 1080p gaming - why are high end desktop graphics cards still the size of my arm and require a wind tunnel to cool?[/citation]

I think you will see a tipping point for power hungry hardware in the future. Gaming PC's are like exotic sports cars. Speed, horsepower and torque remain supreme but efficiency is starting to make waves.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I can go for days without charging om my SGSII. It seems counterintuitive, but more cores draw less power. Then run at slower speeds because they can multi task and they spend more time in deep sleep. The VAST majority of time on my phone is in deep sleep. 8 hours for 7 persent of the battery. with taking a call and texting. Thatn means 5 days if used like a "phone" the reality is we don't use them like that. We browese the interenet, have the screen on all the time, and shouldn't expect then to last days. And even doing that, my CPU spends most of its time at 200MHz or deep sleep. 5% of the time is higher than that. The whole phone CPU war is a joke.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I can go for days without charging om my SGSII. It seems counterintuitive, but more cores draw less power. Then run at slower speeds because they can multi task and they spend more time in deep sleep. The VAST majority of time on my phone is in deep sleep. 8 hours for 7 persent of the battery. with taking a call and texting. Thatn means 5 days if used like a "phone" the reality is we don't use them like that. We browese the interenet, have the screen on all the time, and shouldn't expect then to last days. And even doing that, my CPU spends most of its time at 200MHz or deep sleep. 5% of the time is higher than that. The whole phone CPU war is a joke.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]AidanJC[/nom]Can't have a phone for 5 seconds without it going out of date these days..[/citation]

Galaxy blows as does Kal-El - Nvidia dropped the ball! Kal-EL isn't performing as it's supposed to - it's underperforming.

Read it and weep...

I love you Android fanbois and your hate for Apple, but building a viable chip isn't that easy (current AMD comes to mind) - So while you wanna bash Apple, thus far they've managed to do a decent job with the A5.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Galaxy blows as does Kal-El - Nvidia dropped the ball! Kal-EL isn't performing as it's supposed to - it's underperforming.Read it and weep...I love you Android fanbois and your hate for Apple, but building a viable chip isn't that easy (current AMD comes to mind) - So while you wanna bash Apple, thus far they've managed to do a decent job with the A5.[/citation]

Nope. The A5's GPU does well, but its CPU does just so-so. Quit being such a hypocritical fanboy and grow up.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jack99[/nom]Nope. The A5's GPU does well, but its CPU does just so-so. Quit being such a hypocritical fanboy and grow up.[/citation]

Thanks for point out the hypocrisy! :)

I see the hate for Apple that is sometimes bordering on fanatical. I try to point out with logic that both platforms have their benefits only to be flamed by fanatic haters so I am giving the Android fanbois a bit of their own medicine - it's not nice is it.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Thanks for point out the hypocrisy! I see the hate for Apple that is sometimes bordering on fanatical. I try to point out with logic that both platforms have their benefits only to be flamed by fanatic haters so I am giving the Android fanbois a bit of their own medicine - it's not nice is it.[/citation]

Huh? Giving them their medicine? You do realize you're turning this into a case of the pot telling the kettle it's black? Seriously, just let things be

The article doesn't even mention Apple or the iPhone. I hope you realize that.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Thanks for point out the hypocrisy! I see the hate for Apple that is sometimes bordering on fanatical. I try to point out with logic that both platforms have their benefits only to be flamed by fanatic haters so I am giving the Android fanbois a bit of their own medicine - it's not nice is it.[/citation]

Now that I think about it, all you do is add more bait to the usual flame wars. In this case, you're clearly trying to start one, which makes you a troll. I guess this is the part where I shouldn't feed you.

I'm done here.

G

@DaddW123 - The high-end desktop graphic cards are pushing out far more info, to feed multiple, or very large (or both) displays, with far more pixels than any phone, at speeds much higher than a mere 30 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.