Samsung Galaxy S5's Fingerprint Scanner Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillsandThrills

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
this isnt a hack and it is a problem with 99 percent of finger print readers, including door locks.

this isnt news.

Note to the moderators, this is Otacon72. He is banned under many accounts and is trying to circumvent the ban. He is a highly abusive poster. Remove him.

Typical fan boy response. Apple requires a password after every reboot before users can unlock their iPhone 5S with fingerprint scanner also, no such requirement with the S5. Linking your PayPal account to simply a finger print scan? Even Apple wasn't that stupid.

ChillsandThrills

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
this isnt a hack and it is a problem with 99 percent of finger print readers, including door locks.

this isnt news.

Typical fan boy response. Apple requires a password after every reboot before users can unlock their iPhone 5S with fingerprint scanner also, no such requirement with the S5. Linking your PayPal account to simply a finger print scan? Even Apple wasn't that stupid.

Note to the moderators, this is Otacon72. He is banned under many accounts and is trying to circumvent the ban. He is a highly abusive poster. Remove him.

mach7

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
Seriously??? If you are worried about anyone going to this sort of trouble I would re-think any situation, in which, you think this might occur. Occam's Razor would suggest it is far more likely you will have your finger cut off, or get beaten until you unlock it for whomever might be that interested in your phone.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I hate these fingerprint scanners. I will try my hardest not to buy a phone with one, I just feel like I'm practically handing away my prints to the system.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I hate these fingerprint scanners. I will try my hardest not to buy a phone with one, I just feel like I'm practically handing away my prints to the system.

No one is forcing you to use it, its not working properly anyway. And for that matter neider do the myriad of fingerprint readers used for locks and so on. And like the poster above me said : all fingerprint readers are susceptible to that circumvention. If something is meant to be open one way , someone will always find a way to open it in another way.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
This means Apple was pretty stupid in plenty other ways. Bwahahaha!

I would not use any form of fingerprint scanning for my devices, but that doesn't mean the feature should be removed entirely; others may be more adventurous than me in that respect. ANY fingerprint scanner can be fooled like that, the "hacker" is basically creating a finger with the correct print on it. This is NOT a security feature by any means, and actually Apple was the greatest fool for implementing something so easy to crack to begin with.

cenobite9

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
Neon is right, I remember there was a Mythbusters episode where they beat a fingerprint scanner on a door lock using the same method. They also discovered that the scanner on the door lock was less sensitive than the test scanner on the laptop they were using as they only needed to swipe the paper photocopy of the print on the door lock to get it to open. I guess it all comes down to the manufacturer of the print reader.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
The Disney theme parks use a finger scanner as well. Most people think it is reading their fingerprint. It is not. It is capturing their biometrics (bone density for example). Of course it only works for a few years as we all change over time, and it may mess up if you break your finger, lose weight, gain weight, etc. But let's see a hacker trying to get around Capacitive Fingerprinting, as it is called.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
This means Apple was pretty stupid in plenty other ways. Bwahahaha!

I would not use any form of fingerprint scanning for my devices, but that doesn't mean the feature should be removed entirely; others may be more adventurous than me in that respect. ANY fingerprint scanner can be fooled like that, the "hacker" is basically creating a finger with the correct print on it. This is NOT a security feature by any means, and actually Apple was the greatest fool for implementing something so easy to crack to begin with.

"Apple was the greatest fool for implementing something so easy to crack to begin with" So even though everyone in this comment section mentions anything can be cracked and even you yourself say so, and the fact that that the S5's fingerprint scanner was hacked before release in the same manner Apple's was, you STILL sneak in an anti-apple comment in the end of your paragraph. Somehow..?

Status
Not open for further replies.