Samsung Galaxy Tab Hitting All Major Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Buy it today and you can pay for ANOTHER data plan at only $29.99 a month (or more)!
Data plans are total BS.
I think you should pay $29.99 a month for ALL PHONES AND DEVICES AND IT SHOULD BE UNLIMITED DATA!!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Buy it today and you can pay for ANOTHER data plan at only $29.99 a month (or more)!Data plans are total BS.I think you should pay $29.99 a month for ALL PHONES AND DEVICES AND IT SHOULD BE UNLIMITED DATA!![/citation]
Why stop there? Why not get the device for free, too, and then throw in free movie and book downloads? Maybe they could send you a cut of their profits every month too, except there wouldn't be any.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Beware of this! I had a Samsung Epix and it was highly crippled by Samsung's attempts at customizing it.[/citation]
The Galaxy S has pretty good customizations. Samsung may have learned something.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Why stop there? Why not get the device for free, too, and then throw in free movie and book downloads? Maybe they could send you a cut of their profits every month too, except there wouldn't be any.[/citation]

Oh don't be so naive. Its all about profits with these companies. That is why this stupid tablet is still being quoted as costing $600+ without a data plan. Its all to make you get the $30 a month data plan. And it is the people like you that allow them to be so greedy. Go buy pre-order the next iPad, I'm sure they added one or two features since the last one and Apple needs to make a profit right?

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Why stop there? Why not get the device for free, too, and then throw in free movie and book downloads? Maybe they could send you a cut of their profits every month too, except there wouldn't be any.[/citation]

Half my friends have called and negotiated with their carriers, resulting in their bills dropping from as high as $80 to $40 (by threatening to leave the carrier). If the carriers can afford 50% cuts then just imagine HOW MUCH they are overcharging us by. It doesn't cost them THAT much to increase data allowance for customers. 100% BS

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The Wifi only option should be got by everyone, then you just connect it with your Mifi device.
3G built in = huge $$$, silly data pricing
Mifi = less $$$, realistic data pricing

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I can currently get a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 for $299 (CDN) with 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD and all of the functionality of the Galaxy Tab and then some. I don't need to get it through a wireless carrier, don't need to pay for a data plan and I can connect to the internet by WiFi anywhere it's available. It's compact and the screen is better protected for transport when closed.

What is the advantage of the Tab? Oh yeah, it has a touch screen. I think I'll pass on it.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
No phone calling feature? Bummer! I guess the carriers just want to charge you extra for their customized phone software along with the TAB.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I wouldn't want phone features on a tablet, skype would be fine tho :).Also the 3g on tmobile shouldn't cost more than $10 a month;after all t-zones on a cell is $10 a month :).

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So this will be subsidized after all. That's both a blessing and a curse for us in Canada - our carriers will bilk thousands out of us over the contract, I'm sure.

motamedn

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Oh don't be so naive. Its all about profits with these companies. That is why this stupid tablet is still being quoted as costing $600+ without a data plan. Its all to make you get the $30 a month data plan. And it is the people like you that allow them to be so greedy. Go buy pre-order the next iPad, I'm sure they added one or two features since the last one and Apple needs to make a profit right?[/citation]

So true. And its not like the model you present is unprecedented. Comcast used to charge per computer and now its a given that you can connect unlimited devices at home.

And what brought that change? Likely the fact that their restrictions were fruitless with hubs and routers bypassing it.

So what's the lesson for us? Don't buy at ridiculous prices and tether tether tether until they are forced to make compromises.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Competition is a good thing. Galaxy Tab may not be perfect but certianly an alternative to the iPad. Hopefully other companies will keep producing and improving them.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Beware of this! I had a Samsung Epix and it was highly crippled by Samsung's attempts at customizing it.[/citation]

As an owner of the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S, I have to say it really isn't too bad stock. I've lag fixed and fully customized mine, so if you have a problem with the way Samsung did it, it isn't hard to change it. I'm guessing the tab will be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.