News Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 6 vs OnePlus Open: Which foldable could win?

Oct 25, 2023
While despite having a wider front display than the Fold 5, the Galaxy Z Fold 6 will still have a NOTABLY less god-awful freaking SQUARE shaped internal tablet display (and thus absolute TRASH for watching widescreen media in landscape & scrolling through vertical app feeds in portrait, aka literally the MOST POPULAR MINI-TABLET USE-CASES!) than the inherently compromised OnePlus Open!!! For ex, despite having a notably larger 8" display in terms of total area, the viewable 16:9 media area on the Open is actually SMALLER than on the Fold 4/5's 7.6" but much more rectangular display! 😳🤯

That makes the Galaxy the better foldable in my mind/for me basically by default (and I've been using a tablet-style foldable as my daily for yeeeears now).

I expect the Fold 6 to have a moderately wider/more normal ≈22:9 front display (ala the same aspect ratio as the Z Flip's, aka "normal enough") paired with a still rectangular but slightly more square ≈7:6 interior display vs the ≈23.1:9 & ≈6:5 for the Fold 4/5, both as compared to the OnePlus Open's "fully normal width/size" 21:9 front display which comes at the cost of its nearly perfectly square ≈9:8 interior display! 🤢🤮

While I personally still expect myself to overall prefer the Fold 4/5's set of screen sizes/shapes better than the Fold 6's as I use the tablet display about ≈80% of the time and watch a LOT of widescreen media on it, I think Samsung is going to basically NAIL the "ideal as possible for the largest group of people as possible" screen shape balance with Fold 6! The front display will FINALLY be "wide/normal looking" enough for people to stop whining about it, but critically without making the internal tablet screen near fully square to make that happen like both OnePlus & Oppo have.

All the people who have been flipping out about how Samsung refuses to make drastic screen shape differences from generation to generation are completely unable to see the forest for the trees and missing the point ENTIRELY! They've deliberately been slowly dialing in the best possible balance of inner screen to outer screen for the widest group of people without accidentally overshooting it the way other companies have.

OnePlus' choice of screen shapes on the Open otoh means it's only the superior device if you primarily want to use your foldable as a traditional slab phone with only the occasional bit of tablet screen usage, not the other way around! Sorry, not sorry. 🤷 The black letterboxing bars when watching widescreen media should NEVER be bigger than the dang media itself!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 10, 2024
Samsung playing catch up this year I had the choice between the latest Samsung foldable and a OnePlus You can't buy this phone from a carrier! But my god there's no crease Samsungs lagging behind in two main things screen crease and cooling I won't mention the lack of high end camera sensors either since not many people worry in a foldable in day to day life. This Oneplus open caught a picture of the solar eclipse and it was clear there's definitely a different between the two and I watch content on it just fine it's a big screen in fact I compared it to the zfold 5 and the OnePlus was bigger both unfolded and folded there was more room on the screen on then OnePlus for a bigger uncropped video overall I believe Samsung needs to wake up and smell the roses the average person is tired of the same old design same old thing we want newer we want better!