Samsung Launches 4K, 28-inch Monitor for Under $700

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Yes, this monitor runs at 60Hz, you just have to use DisplayPort.
Thanks, Prime. Do you believe a second GTX 780 classified would give me 50-60 fps in games like Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3, Crysys 3, etc.? I haven't even heard the fans speed up on my single 3GB card yet @ 1920x1200, so I'm not sure how hard it's even working, but I know 4K is gonna be way too much for it.

AggressorPrime

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
Really, this monitor looks like a great deal.Details can be found on Samsung's site here:http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN3840x2160@60Hz with real 30-bit color puts this panel on the same level as the ASUS PQ321Q ($3500) and the Dell UP3214Q ($3500), but in 28" instead of 32". It is better than the Dell UP2414Q ($1300) since you get a real 30-bit color, not 24-bit color with AFRC to fake boost to 30-bit. And it is much better than the Dell P2815Q ($662) which can only operate at 30Hz. And those other monitors are either 8ms and IGZO+IPS ($3500 ones), 6ms and IPS ($1300 one), or 5ms and TN ($662 one). So you get a much faster monitor for gaming, although it is TN.What is the difference between IPS and TN?IPS has a better chance of offering better colors (for the artists).TN has a better chance of offering better response times (for the gamers).That said, IPS can have acceptable response times and TN can have acceptable colors. IGZO is just power saving technology, so no worries except for the eco-friendly.If you are looking for the perfect display, it doesn't exist yet, and it will still be some time. You will have to wait for DisplayPort 1.3 on the one hand (so you don't need G-Sync and so the display acts as a single display instead of 2 displays that need to be merged via the drivers) and OLED on the other (so you get faster response times than TN and better colors than IPS). That could be 2 years considering the delays in OLED. And once we do see 4K OLED for desktops, it is going to be really expensive, so add on another 2 years. By then, we will have 8K and the cycle begins again. Waiting for technology to be the best cannot work since technology constantly improves, so choose to buy what you see as acceptable, not best.

AggressorPrime

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
Sorry for my wall of text. I thought this comment section took enters. I was wrong. @Antimatter79, you might want to look at this: http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/38/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-sli-benchmarked-at-4k/index.html. It at least shows 4K performance in Last Light. Expect similar results with Crysis 3. In summary, you might have to play on medium settings, even with SLI, to get acceptable framerates. If you want to go 4K, I would suggest using multiple 780 Ti's, preferably 6GB versions which EVGA will be launching this May. Here is a review on 780 Ti 3GB performance: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/4k-resolution-gaming-on-the-nvidia-gtx-780ti-gtx-titan-and-gtx-780-idnum102/#.Up7QCsRDsg8. 3-way SLI is probably where you want to go as 4-way doesn't always help you. Some of those bad results may have to do with the 3GB VRAM limitation however. That is what this review with Titan Blacks, but 3x 1080p, would suggest: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5231/5/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-black-4-way-sli-review-benchmarks---crysis-3-far-cry-3-metro-ll. 4K can be inexpensive on the monitor side of things, but on your internal hardware, it can be expensive.

AggressorPrime

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
One more comment, as they added this link to the Titan Black review. Here is a review of Titan Black with 4K: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5244/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-black-+-234-way-sli-in-ultra-hd--4k-review. You only really see a benefit of 4-way in Crysis 3 at max settings. A slight benefit with 4-way in Far Cry 3 max settings. Other than that 3-way is faster. For Last Light, you could just use 2 780 Ti 6GB/Titan Blacks.

trog69

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
4K is so dumb unless you're sitting 2 feet from the display and/or have a 100" screen...sheeple...smh
I didn't think that 1440p was going to be that much better than my fairly decent ASUS 24" 1080p monitor, until I finally took the plunge and got one. Now I'd never go back to 1080p, and this 27" is less than 2' away from me when I'm gaming. As for 4k and gaming, I'll wait until I can game this monitor with one high-end or two mid-level GPUs. My stock 780 is plenty of firepower for this 2560x1440p monitor, so it's not like I'm going to suffer while I wait. heh

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Well it looks like I might just be skipping over 1440p. I've been waiting for prices on them to drop to the sub-400 range for years. Most are still in the 500+ range. Still so annoying to me that it's cheaper to buy an entire tablet (say Nexus 10) to get a decent resolution than it is to buy just a monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.