Samsung LCD TV with no video and high pitched sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

morganj

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hi,

I have a Samsung LN40A550 LCD TV which I have had for just over a year. Warranty is one year LOL. Well heres my problem. I was watching TV yesterday and all of a sudden the picture went all crazy, it was multiple colours with vertical or horizontal lines and the sound went to a loud high pitched noise. After about 30 seconds the picture and sound went back to normal. I used my TV without any problems 3 or 4 times since then, but when I go to turn it on this morning the TV powers on correctly and has the power on sound, but immediately after that their is no video and a high pitched sound. I tried disconnecting all devices from the TV, tried alternative power source. The TV is normally connected to a surge protector.

Any leads as to what may be wrong? I have scoured google for any similar problems but came up with only one similar instance saying its a blown capacitor.

Thanks,

Morgan

EDIT: I was not very clear on the audio. It is LOUD and high pitched almost sounds like its screaming lol

Tdhfkcns

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
I don't have a solution but I'm here to say your not the only one experiencing these problems. When I turn on my xbox half of the times it makes that high pitched sound you described and the screen also goes crazy. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

ChasePGT

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
I have a LN46A550P3F with the same greenlines/screeching symptoms....

For 10 bucks, I replaced the powerboard capacitors and that did NOT solve the problem. I see here people talking aboiut replacing the main board and there is a kit on line to replace the mainboard as a service (you send a core, they return a good one probably).

Anyway, just adding to the thread stating that replacing your powerboard capaictors does NOT solve this problem.

I am debating about buying themainboard kit vs sending mine out to be repaired. It sounds like the mainboard fix is harder than replacing the capacitors on teh powerboard.

Kellie_1

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Not an answer, just commiserating. I've had mine for over 10 years... suddenly since two days ago the green lines and scream of death comes out when I turn the TV on. If I just turn it off and back on, it's back to normal. Annoying but I first thought it was just because the TV is so old and on its way out... maybe not if everyone's experiencing this too

Jlynlill

Estimable
Jan 27, 2016
I had the same problem and it's the coaxial where the coaxial meets the female part of the television when metal touches the metal it makes the screeching and the pictures lost..so if you just lightly hold it there just so the metal doesn't touch the other metal..so only the pin of the male coaxial lightly/gently goes in or slightly grazes the recieving end on the TV you'll see that you get a picture and no screeching! So my solution is... I took a little bit of poster tack (it looks like blue putty).. Which i rolled a small piece between my fingers into a ball then slightly flattened it and then i put it on the female coaxial port of the TV... So when you go to attach your male coaxial cord (for your cable, VCR or antenna) it will lightly stick in place! So there you have it! And wallah! You have picture with no screeching! **Also... It does require a bit of trial and error to get the right "stick" in the connections "sweet spot" so don't give up if it doesn't stay immediately... It works best if it doesn't get too warm while rolling it between your fingers.

Dans135

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
With my 46 inch Samsung, I found that the "boost regulator" on the main control board had a bad chip capacitor.
I changed it using a small 10 uf 50 V tantalum capacitor (watch the polarity)...and all is fine.
The boost regulator is a MP2363DN and the large chip cap is immediately beside it.
The control board has the HDMI and I/0 Connectors on it with the tuner and antenna input...,my board is a BN94-01723A board but they may all be identical.
I suspect that as the boost regulator provides voltages for the chips, if the capacitor fails the voltage doesn't get filtered and produces high frequency crud ... all fixed with a 50 cent capacitor.

Dans135

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
The boost regulator chip is on the back of the control board by the way. On the front there are 2 ferrite coils and the chip is directly behind... on the back there are 2 but the one has a large chip cap beside it with a band on it... that is the little culprit that causes all the grief....

Mar 12, 2018