Samsung Looks to Ban iPhone 4S Sales in France, Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]More Jobs attitude toward innovation and, less f***ing Lawyers.[/citation]
Exactly what did you smoke today, pardon my French?

Did Apple invent tablets? Nope, it's something from 90th.
Did Apple invent "rectangular device with rounded corners"? (this "community design" is the reason Samsung Galaxy is banned in Europe's biggest market, Germany) Are you kidding me?

Unlike with Apple's "innovations" of "we buy this and that and slap it there, then give it a spin in media" Samsung owns patent on actual technology. Something you spend money on when developing, you know, investing in R&D not simply buying a company that owns the patent. (like Apple with multitouch or now Siri)

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
We can sit here behind our computers and pull Apple apart for this and that, but in reality, they were the company that pushed these products, and therefore the market forward.

There is a reason why they are such a successful company- for better or for worse, they make products that people actually want. This has been achieved by Apple by always being on the cutting edge of the market, by delivering on the ideas "that have been around for years" and bringing them into people's lives. Sure, Jobs didn't single-handedly do this but look at
this and remember it's illegal to put your name down as a patent inventor if you have nothing to do with inventing it.
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Exactly what did you smoke today, pardon my French?Did Apple invent tablets? Nope, it's something from 90th.Did Apple invent "rectangular device with rounded corners"? (this "community design" is the reason Samsung Galaxy is banned in Europe's biggest market, Germany) Are you kidding me?Unlike with Apple's "innovations" of "we buy this and that and slap it there, then give it a spin in media" Samsung owns patent on actual technology. Something you spend money on when developing, you know, investing in R&D not simply buying a company that owns the patent. (like Apple with multitouch or now Siri)[/citation]

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ChiefTexas_82[/nom]Apple: We Innovate to reach the top. We sue everyone else to stay there.[/citation]
huh? What has apple actually innovated except fisher price interfaces to make idiots think they are computer 'experts"?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I've not owned a samsung phone for years, but I so hope they'll succeed. Less Apple does make the world a better place. Of course that opinion of mine isn't founded in anything related to laws, but a well working concience. Moral has little meaning in a court room though, so I'm sure Apple can manipulate or bribe their way thru if the facts aren't in their favor.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I expected something like this happening, but not this fast. Samsungs doing the same to apple as they did to them, but my bet is that the courts wont be as kind to samsung as theyve been to apple.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Exactly what did you smoke today, pardon my French?Did Apple invent tablets? Nope, it's something from 90th.Did Apple invent "rectangular device with rounded corners"? (this "community design" is the reason Samsung Galaxy is banned in Europe's biggest market, Germany) Are you kidding me?Unlike with Apple's "innovations" of "we buy this and that and slap it there, then give it a spin in media" Samsung owns patent on actual technology. Something you spend money on when developing, you know, investing in R&D not simply buying a company that owns the patent. (like Apple with multitouch or now Siri)[/citation]

As much as I hate to admit (as anti-Apple person), it was this company that made tablets, MP3 players and other technological products to the mass consumer by improving accessibility and affordability.

You are obviously too young to recognize what this company did in the past.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]As much as I hate to admit (as anti-Apple person), it was this company that made tablets, MP3 players and other technological products to the mass consumer by improving accessibility and affordability. You are obviously too young to recognize what this company did in the past.[/citation]

To the mass consumer only because of massive marketing campaigns. Not because their products are any good!

I've used a hp ipaq as music and navigation unit in my car before I even knew apple had an ipod.
True, they did bring tablets to the masses, but those same masses now realize they didn't need any in the first place. What they needed was a monitor with multitouch for their laptop or desktop system. And those've come down quite nicely in brice in 2011, so problem solved.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]As much as I hate to admit (as anti-Apple person), it was this company that made tablets, MP3 players and other technological products to the mass consumer by improving accessibility and affordability. You are obviously too young to recognize what this company did in the past.[/citation]

agreed. I've been watchign tech for years... my thoughts on apple is it is a marketing company.

they slap a easy to use GUI on a product, restrict it to make sure you can only use it how they want you to as a way to make sure you don't do any dmg to the device and thus lower your user experience, then makr up thier hardware more than the competition... that's apple, and for people who like that and want easy to use tech ... well... more power to em, keep buying it, that's thier market.

but these legal battles are a part of apple i can't accept, though I guess its not thier fault that the patent system is so broken. here in the US things are jsut as broken with the patent system, hopefully all these legal battles and products being banned in different countries will eventually bring the kind of patent reform globally where things can compete in terms of how well a device works and not on which is legal to own in your country... its a damn tablet afterall not some kind of weapon or restricted substance (though some pcb components are pretty naasty come to think of it)

/end rant

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This why all of the big semiconductor manufacturing companies have cross licensing agreements. The tablet/phone manufacturers will eventually adopt the same strategy.

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Sorry to let you know that I had an MP3 player from Sony BEFORE Apple made the iPod. My father had a tablet from HP BEFORE Apple made the iPad. And finnaly, I never had a touchscreen and slim phone but i'm sure Apple was not the first in this either.

In all cases, Apple wins the medal for the most retarded copy-protection method: To force you to syncronize with ONLY 1 PC and be unable to plug your device somewere else and read/write data (use the device as a USB flash). My first 128MB USB MP3 player could do that!

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Reap what you sow. Apple decided to sue to block everyone on patents, now they're getting a taste of their own medicine. I hope Samsung does win and iPhone 4GS is banned in all of Europe (as this can happen as seen by what was happening with the German and Denmark rulings). All it takes is either Italy or France approving the ban (or both) to lock Apple out of Europe with the iPhone 4GS. Hopefully this will make Apple actually change their attitude is Samsung wins (and from looking at what Samsung is suing on, that may be likely as Apple agreed to a similar case with Nokia and paid Nokia for use of patent).

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]ChiefTexas_82[/nom]Apple: We [strike]Innovate[/strike] steal ideas from others to reach the top. We sue everyone else to stay there.[/citation]

Fixed that for you.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
good gosh people. Can anyone here think of just one thought that they had that was truly unique?

innovation: taking an idea to the next level
invention: creating an idea

they are very different things. Apple innovated, there is absolutely no question of that.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
You guys having something against companies make accessible products that are easy to interact with? I don't understand your argument. The reason why their products are successful is because they make things that are typically complicated for the masses and make it simple and easy to use without loosing capability and adding a few additional twists of the their own. Then they put it into an attractive package. There are underline features in OSX and IOS that are not advertised but are seriously crazy slick but since the masses might not use them they don't talk about it. Those features are mainly for technology folks.

What company do you know does not market their products. does not matter how good your product is, if people do not know about it, it will not sell. How many fantastic products out there falter because only a small few people know about it. Happens all the time.

I feel for you guys that make assumptions about people based on their selection of a phone. It does not make a whole lot of sense really but it does say allot about you guys. There is allot of passionate people on this site, and there is some ignorant people on this site but there are some of you that are both passionate and ignorant at the same time and that is one heck of a combination.

If you stop and really use the IPhone or your Andriod devices, peel back the onion a bit, I think you will be surprised what kind of tech really is there. There is allot more to these devices than a spec sheet and the ability to customize your menu's.

The fact that some people where able to play MP3's on devices like an IPAQ is a BS argument. Where is your IPAQ now, gone, you can play MP3's on allot of phones but Apple made it accessible and easy to use with a format that allows them to optimize sound quality while saving as much space as they can while at the same time embedding metadata into the content so that you can have usable information about the track and see the album covers. Did not have all that on your IPAQ did you. Again, playing digital music was not an Apple invention, they just changed the way people accessed and managed the music and they did a good job with it.

They did not invent the concept of a tablet, I had a Samsung Tablet 9 years ago with windows XP on it. Completely sucked because that form factor does not support general computing very well. Apple took the same uber failed concept and decided to put a OS purposely built for that form factor and just do the main things that most consumers people use on a computer for (email, calender, web) in a convenient, reliable easy to use interface. I was hugely skeptical at first but once I understood what their though process was it all made perfect sense which is why you see tablets eating into PC and laptop sales. Sure, there are things you can't do on the IPad 2 but if you need those things that is what a computer is for.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tlg[/nom]Sorry to let you know that I had an MP3 player from Sony BEFORE Apple made the iPod. My father had a tablet from HP BEFORE Apple made the iPad. And finnaly, I never had a touchscreen and slim phone but i'm sure Apple was not the first in this either.In all cases, Apple wins the medal for the most retarded copy-protection method: To force you to syncronize with ONLY 1 PC and be unable to plug your device somewere else and read/write data (use the device as a USB flash). My first 128MB USB MP3 player could do that![/citation]

Sony was pushing more towards the ATRAC3 player instead of a MP3 player due to copyrights issues from one of its subsidiaries. It was only after they realized they lost the battle against Apple in the early 2000s that they ditched ATRAC3 and made MP3 their mainstream format. Anyway the softwares for the players are terrible - and that's coming from a nothing-but-walkman user.

As for tablets, iPad was not the first tablet product Apple made. Just because your daddy bought a tablet before the time of iPads doesnt mean HP should get the credit as tablet manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS