Samsung Making Galaxy iPod Killer With Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So i was wondering:

at CES Samsung will roll out the Galaxy Player, which appears to be a Galaxy S without the phone.

Without the phone. Then comes a statement some lines later: 3.2MP rear camera with front facing camera for video calling.

Maybe im to stupid, but without any GSM Network, how im i supposed to do the video call?

Correct me if im wrong....

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Does it bother anyone the pop-up on each article you go in?
Is any way to get rid of it? any good websites compared to this one?
This is really sh*tty. at least this is my opinion.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
This makes video calls the same way you (have to) video call with the iPhone/iPod 3g: via Wi-fi, since cell networks would be crippled if video calling were enabled nationwide (with the rare exception of 4g coverage for capable handsets.)

What I am wondering is that, given the Nexus S that just came out with all the same features, why would someone want one of these when they can get all that, plus a phone, for about the same price? (even less with a contract.) The thing that is still missing is HDMI output.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Forgot to add (No edit button..)Apple has their app store, the Android market isn't exactly up to spec since half of the market is full of apps that look like they we're made in 10 minutes..[/citation]

LOL, nice troll. Yes, there are so many shining examples of fine app craftsmanship on the itunes app store... Let's see, there is the gun cocking noisemaker, the app that shows a picture of a guy whose lips move when you talk into the microphone, the app that makes a whip cracking sound when you jerk the phone front and back...

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]Does it bother anyone the pop-up on each article you go in?[/citation]
Firefox + Adblock Plus work great.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]tomdpham[/nom]The Galaxy S does have video via 3.5mm jack, even though it's just analog. It does complete screen duplication so it'll work with all programs. Not the best picture, but it gets the job done.If only they fix their wifi problem, it'll be the perfect machine.[/citation]
Video Out doesn't work in all programs. Some games shut off the video output during play. At least it is that way on my Captivate, but it could be my ROM I'm running.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I also want to see the price tag... I also if they can get some kind of quality control for their apps (not close the doors like apple, but samsung could have people do QC and put it in a special app store).

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
PS: I would love for a company to beat out the ipod, Im sick of the fact that no other company has made a good mp3 player in a while. MS did ok with the zune but the screen's aspect ration isn't that great for movies plus they haven't come out with a new one (at least with a better res. screen). Plus the prices of any mp3 player with these kind of specs is just too high (300 for 32 gb for a touch or even 250 for the zune). Creative's looks nice but no one around my area sells them so I have no way to check them out before trying to buy coupled with their horrendous customer support (I have had bad experiences with them in the past)...along with the lack of apps/games that the ipod has really makes them the only good choice.

G

No Way it will kill the Ipod Touch. Most people I know that love their Ipod Touch like to game a lot. Gaming in Android compared to iOS is nothing to be proud off... Most games that exists in both platforms, are not exactly "fluid" when you play it in an Android equipment. Just try to compare Asphalt HD, NFS, Angry Birds... iOS still is much better than Android in that department, and believe me, this is quite important for the kind of crowd that Galaxy Player is aimed to. Perhaps, with Ginger exclusive games, we will start to see iOS quality games (still to be seen if the improovments in Gingerbread really will make high quality gaming in Android a reality) and this will not be an issue anymore. It is quite depressing to see your high end mobile phone, 1GHz CPU speed, same or better GPU than the one in most iThings, delivering worse performance. iPhone 3GS is much better at gaming than most (if not all) current Top ndroid Phones, even being far lower specd.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Looks yummy; however, I wish Samsung stuck with their AMOLED screens. LCDs are okay, but they definitely still can't match the black levels of AMOLEDs or my Zune HD's OLED (at least not the LCDs at this size). I'm also a little concerned about battery life; of course, that's what reviews are for...

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]It's not about GSM module price. It's just higher margin. Apple just makes more money selling iphones.I use a phone and a Windows Mobile PDA. I would buy an Ipod toch if it had Windows Mobile.[/citation]
i agree i'd buy an ipod touch if it wasn't made by apple

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
To not buy a good product just because its made by a specific company is dumb. Do you think Microsoft, Google or any other big media companies care about you?

In fact look at the Net Neutrality law that was passed. In the mobile section, Google and Verizon basically wrote it. And ill tell you this, both of them were looking for their interests, not the interests of consumers, thats for damn sure.

So if you should be boycotting any company, it should be Google and Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.