Samsung Promises Devices with Flexible Displays in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Excellent. INstead of making something useful to most consumers, they've created this. Well amazing. I cannot tell you how often I've wanted to watch TV on something rolled up. ITs been killing me.

STop making dumb crap and make me a sub $1000 70" plasma series 8. ;)

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mediaslave[/nom]Excellent. INstead of making something useful to most consumers, they've created this. Well amazing. I cannot tell you how often I've wanted to watch TV on something rolled up. ITs been killing me. STop making dumb crap and make me a sub $1000 70" plasma series 8.[/citation]
Lol, yeah too bad this "dumb crap" will be in your everyday life in the future.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Apple haven't been developing this, have no patents for this and no plans to use this...So expect a lawsuit by the end of the week[/citation]

It's impossible to patent something successfully with prior art, and there's no evidence whatsoever that Apple have any intentions to patent something like this... So expect a bunch of Apple-cryboys to hate all over a Samsung article with no relevance whatsoever.

Talk about failures.

And Apple had developed slide to unlock when they patented it.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]mediaslave[/nom]Excellent. INstead of making something useful to most consumers, they've created this. Well amazing. I cannot tell you how often I've wanted to watch TV on something rolled up. ITs been killing me. STop making dumb crap and make me a sub $1000 70" plasma series 8.[/citation]

You, sir, are an idiot. How about a a screen the wraps around your entire field of vision without any annoying black bars AND without having to configure multiple displays? I would rather have that be the future than having a cheap version of the same thing year ofter year. Have some imagination.

intense

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
YOu sir, don't get it either.

First, you should always know who you are talking to. Graphic designer, former game designer, and the LAST person thats got a lack of imagination.

But here fanboy, consider this...

How much do you think that display is going to cost? And can they manufacture it in a large size? Cause they can't do that now with the Super AMOLED screens. So while you sit in your imaginationland, I am simply saying little bendy screens will have little to no real use for anybody in the next couple of years. Right now, a 70" Plasma screen would make more of an impact and be much nicer than a novelty like this.

I can see it having some benefits for sure, as all new technology does. But I think in the long run its more of a novelty than anything, and I'd rather have that giant screen to play with.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]intense[/nom]YOu sir, don't get it either. First, you should always know who you are talking to. Graphic designer, former game designer, and the LAST person thats got a lack of imagination. But here fanboy, consider this...How much do you think that display is going to cost? And can they manufacture it in a large size? Cause they can't do that now with the Super AMOLED screens. So while you sit in your imaginationland, I am simply saying little bendy screens will have little to no real use for anybody in the next couple of years. Right now, a 70" Plasma screen would make more of an impact and be much nicer than a novelty like this. I can see it having some benefits for sure, as all new technology does. But I think in the long run its more of a novelty than anything, and I'd rather have that giant screen to play with.[/citation]
Well..the technology has to start somewhere... I mean, Plasma's sucked when they first came out. People said that the technology there would never last and now look, some of the best TV's out there are Plasma(Pioneer Elites). If they mass produce this tech and sell it to other manufacturers, the price shouldn't be much more than the AMOLED screens now.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
There are some bad comparisons here... This tech, like stated above can have so many uses in the future! Screen embedded just about anywhere! To say that this cannot happen because it is two expensive is absurd! There was a time when people were saying that a color television would not be in every household. Even a few years ago, people were saying that cell phones themselves would not be as mainstream as they are. For those people who are saying that this is a useless fad could not be more wrong!!! A cheap 70" Plasma would be great, but the use of that is nearly incomparable to the use of this...

nugenttw

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]^ I have no idea what that means.Anyway...yeah I don't care if it can play Crysis or not...I want it! Not sure if I want the whole entire phone to be flexible, though as long as the screen doesn't break easily, I'll be happy. Still waiting for that 8 MP phone with ICS installed @ release. Don't want to deal with an update in early 2012.[/citation]

Megapixels mean nothing. You only need 2.07 MP to reach 1080p resolution. The lens and sensor are what really matter. The galaxy Nexus camera has been proven to be better than the iphone 4s.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]It's impossible to patent something successfully with prior art, and there's no evidence whatsoever that Apple have any intentions to patent something like this... So expect a bunch of Apple-cryboys to hate all over a Samsung article with no relevance whatsoever.Talk about failures.And Apple had developed slide to unlock when they patented it.[/citation]
Why do you only comment on indefensible Apple-butt-munch stories?
What's your stance on the OLPC tablet drop?
What do you think about the AMD Bulldozer speed record?
Can you believe 3.5 million people still pay for AOL dialup?
If you are going to shed that Jobs-cock-sucking Apple fanboi image you really need to cast an opinion a little further

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Why do you only comment on indefensible Apple-butt-munch stories?...What's your stance on the OLPC tablet drop?What do you think about the AMD Bulldozer speed record?Can you believe 3.5 million people still pay for AOL dialup?...If you are going to shed that Jobs-cock-sucking Apple fanboi image you really need to cast an opinion a little further[/citation]

This article isn't an Apple one. You're the one who cried Apple all over it.

I just called you out on it. You're just a totally angry anti-apple freak. And of course that mainly surfaces on mobile phone* (not Apple) related articles.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This article isn't an Apple one. You're the one who cried Apple all over it.I just called you out on it. You're just a totally angry anti-apple freak. And of course that mainly surfaces on mobile phone* (not Apple) related articles.[/citation]
Yes, I don't like Apple, you found me out
What's your excuse?

G

I was hoping this will eventually lead to foldable screens. Imagine 7" screen phone or tablets taht you can fold to fit into your pocket.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Yes, I don't like Apple, you found me out...What's your excuse?[/citation]

Do I need excuse for correcting illogical comments fuelled by an irrational dislike of a company?

No, no I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.