Samsung Sells a Million Galaxy Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
First, congrat to Samsung. However if I am not I believe I have seen this new in either Gizmodo or Engadget... that Samsung admitted that one million sale is the globe sale number.
No matter what, it is good see android base tablets are finally taking off.
While I do not hate iPad, I am still glade that Galaxy Tabs is doing well. No matter what competition is always a good thing for us.
By the way I just found out that Delta has installed a lot of iPad in its JFK terminal. People can use it to check the flight info and browse web and news for free. Maybe Samsung should learn from that and work with those airlines.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
In my mind the only thing appealing about the Samsung Tab is it's size. In terms of price it seems to be the most expensive. In terms of usuability the iPad probably get's it. In terms of technical versatility, the Archos 101 seems better. But all credit to Samsung for shifting so many of them.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I like the Galaxy tab. I am surprise there is such a big market for tablets. I am not considering buying a tablet, but if I was, I would wait for a Tegra 2 OLED 7" tablet. May not happen, since Samsung is the only one making OLED at this point, and naturally they want to put their own chip on them.

abhijeet1982

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
the sad part of samsung is their hate to devlop firmware updates for products, unlike apple which still lists ios4. something is available for my ipod touch 2g. where as for my galaxy s i got froyo 1 week ago in india, and gingerbread is about to launch in a day or two, i beleave that my phone has the capability to run the next version of android but samsung will never release it, because they are interested in launching new phones and with different specs and not to concentrate on 1 phone per year and releasing updates for atleast same plateform phones, i know that galaxy tab will have same situation next year, this is where i like apple

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Saw a Galaxy Tab in Rogers (Canadian wireless company) the other day. I didn;t realize they were even out here yet.

Played around with it for a few minutes, and didn't like it. The case and plastic feel like a cheap toy compared to an iPad. Browsed a few websites including my own and it didn't seem all that fast to me. Although it rendered properly, rapid scrolling through pages was "clunky".

Samsung might have the "specs" down pat, but the overall user experience needs some work.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]abhijeet1982[/nom]the sad part of samsung is their hate to devlop firmware updates for products, unlike apple which still lists ios4. something is available for my ipod touch 2g[/citation]

Dear God, I hate flaming, but you know, that his user has forced me to:

You dare to compare jobb's cripleware to Android OS and even more, your dead brain manages to coclude apple's crippleware is better? What kind of drags made you think so!?!?!??!

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Congratulations to Samsung:
we also have to keep in mind that Samsung doesn't have the same number of blind followers (a.k.a. minions) that will do whatever it takes to get a new product from them.

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i think what "abhijeet1982" is referring to is the hardware refresh interval that apple have, you can be sure that in most cases apple will refresh their hardware once (at most twice) in a year, and the most up-to-date version of the iOS will work in several generations of the product at once, i.e. ipod touch gen2 and 3 can utilise iOS 4, the iphone 3g, 3gs, and 4 can all utilise iOS 4...

with the android equipped phones, there are that many of them from that many different manufacturers that there's a new one coming out every other week which is better than the one you've just paid for, which on the one hand is great for progress, but lets face it, pretty rubbish for folks who have just paid out for it (and are invariably locked into a 2 year contract) so they are stuck out of date almost from the get-go for 2 years....!

this wouldn't be so bad if you didn't add in that a lot of these phones are very very slow at getting a major android update made available for them (if ever)... as the manufacturers don't really want their "old" (6 months is old...!) phones getting the same software as their newer more shiny ones.... it's a shame really..

apple do seem to provide more longevity with their hardware revisions, and because their prices are in orbit (and always remain in orbit).... there is actually a viable second hand market for older apple devices, in the uk, just check what prices o2 are willing to give you for an iphone 3g or 3gs on the o2 recycle website.... compared to older android based phones...

as this is a tablet article, i do hope the android tablets are more aggressive with their upgrade process (software wise) and the manufacturers don't saturate the market with lots of hardware revisions, as once you've got your tablet, as long as it plays media, browses the web and reads email and docs ok, you don't really need faster and better ones.....! so hopefully your hardware investment will last a good length longer than your typical mobile phone ownership....

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
@Mofnet

I agree with most of what you said... but it's the customer that has to do their research on what they buy. You can't be upset when you blindly buy a product then come to find out it doesn't do what you wanted. No one else's fault but their own.

About the fragmentation issue- Apple also has this, you even pointed it out. iOS 4.x (with facetime among other apps?) can only be used on the iPhone 4. If you own a 2G or 3G iPhone, you're shit out of luck of even getting iOS 4.x on your phone. That leaves 2 phones out of 4 that can even use iOS, and only 1 out of 4 that can use it to the fullest.

I've owned an iPhone, I have a Galaxy S (Captivate) and each have their advantages. The iPhone is better for non-techies, the Android platform is what my inner-geek craves. At least there's a ton of custom ROMs for almost every Android phone out there.
(praying for a Gingerbread port for the Galaxy S)

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
As Samsung hits a milestone of a million Galaxy Tabs sold, some are quick to point out that Apple had sold two million iPads in the same post-launch time frame.

I'd still consider selling half as many Galaxy Tabs as iPads in the same time frame an accomplishment given how freakishly popular the iPad is.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Dear God, I hate flaming, but you know, that his user has forced me to:You dare to compare jobb's cripleware to Android OS and even more, your dead brain manages to coclude apple's crippleware is better? What kind of drags made you think so!?!?!??![/citation]

1 vote for most ignorant comment on Tom.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Congratulations to Samsung. However after trying the demo unit in-store I, as a tech enthusiast, was disappointed. Schmidt was right in asserting that Android 2.2 was not made for tablets.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I'm bringing mine back tomorrow. I'm spoiled - LCD is not SAMOLED. I also want dual core. 2011 is going to be the year of the tablets, and I don't feel like swapping it out as soon as the next batch is ready in Q1.

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I tryed one its kinda nice. Hulu didnt work though wich sucks. Also this samsung tablet is a mean ripoff 600.00 what is samsung smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.