Samsung smart TV video input with only audio (no video) connected is disabled

calkinsc

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
I have a UN40F6300 smart TV and I'm trying to connect a device that only has audio outputs to the video input on the TV (to the the left and right RCA input jacks) so I can take advantage of the TV's speakers. When I try to select the video input by pressing the Source button on the remote, the video input is disabled and can't be selected for use. I'm guessing it is looking for a video signal to determine if the input should be considered usable, but as I want to use it for audio input only, that's a problem.

Is there a way to either force the input to be considered active (a black screen is fine as long as I hear the audio - no video is needed), or is there an alternative way to connect an audio-only source to the TV that I'm missing? Thanks!

You are correct that the TV is looking for a video signal. If you have a source (like a cable box) that has a video out you are not using (composite video) then connect that to the video jack associated with the audio input you want to use. If you don't have anything like that you can buy a cheap video camera to leave connected.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA70E2Y07249

Solution