Question Samsung TV / Sony Blu Ray DVD Player / ROKU Streaming Device

Mar 2, 2024
Hi. I am not really technical, so I need some help. I have a Samsung TV. I purchased a ROKU streaming device & it has been working for years. I decided to purchase a Sony blu ray DVD player & hook it up to my Samsung TV as well. I used the HDMI2 port, as my ROKU device is plugged into my HDMI1 port. What happened was ROKU was booted off & the DVD player hooked up. I could do everything on my new Sony device but my ROKU screen disappeared and was replaced with the DVD player screen & it doesn't offer the option of a ROKU streaming device. I contacted Amazon support & we were unable to resolve the issue. Is there a way to hookup both my Sony blu ray player & my ROKU streaming device into my Samsung TV at the same time? I have thoroughly searched the TV settings for the HDMI inputs and cannot find them anywhere & there is no option to add any devices except remotes, headphones, smartphones, & tablets. Am I going to need to purchase a ROKU TV to play all the blu ray dvd's I have? Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024
Hi - I took a pic of the back of my set but unfortunately, I can't seem to transfer my phone images to my laptop! Another question for another day. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. Samsung Model No UN49NU8000F. I have 3 HDMI ports and HDMI port 1 has the ROKU streaming device attached. For my Sony Blu Ray player, I used the HDMI cord that came with it & hooked it up to HDMI port 2. I do not have to unplug the ROKU in port 1 nor the Sony in port 2, as far as I know. Sony automatically set up everything for me but it booted ROKU off! I can either use one device or the other, but I have to re-install my ROKU every time to get my ROKU screen back or re-install my Sony Blu Ray player to play DVDs. Unfortunately, however, I had to return my Sony back to Amazon as the door wouldn't open to put my blu ray DVD in! So, I thought in the meantime, I could ask whether or not this will actually work if I decided to try again with a DVD player that works. Thank you for your assistance! I have looked everywhere that I can to toggle between the 2 ports but can't find anything.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024
I still have the player here at home but I boxed it up to return on Monday. However, if there is a way to do this, I can re-hook everything up. I figured if the door to the DVD player wouldn't open, it's probably broken. I can hear it making a whirring noise when I use the remote to try to open it and also when I used the open door icon directly on the player. Maybe it's not working because of another issue. I figured it's a bad player. The box looked a little worn.

With both devices connected, your *SHOULD* be able to use the Input button on your TV remote to select between HDMI1 and HDMI2. HDMI1 should show your your ROKU screen. HDMI2 should show your DVD/Blu-Ray player screen.

It's possible (but HIGHLY unlikely) that using HDMI2 disables HDMI1, but I can't think of any other reason why you couldn't use have both connected and available.

I have a ROKU streaming stick connected to my HDTV as well (Westinghouse) and using my HDTV remote, I can easily switch between ROKU and local Over-The-Air channels. I could try and power up my old tablet and see if I can connect it to a separate HDMI input on my TV, but I don't think that's an issue. I'll take some time this evening to look over the specs and documentation of your TV to see if I note something there.

-Wolf sends

Edit: That's not going to work. The old tablet has a special HDMI output that I no longer have a cable for.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024
After reading your last text, I am supposing I may be having issues due to the fact I am using the ROKU remote for my ROKU Model 4800X instead of the Samsung remote. I can't remember why I chose to use the ROKU remote, but I believe it's because when I installed the ROKU player, it automatically used the ROKU remote. That said, I still have my Samsung remote. I don't throw anything like that away. I looked at the Samsung remote, & it has a modest amount of buttons (10) but none are labeled HDMI 1 or 2 etc., but it does have a button with 123 on it. It seems I may need to try to start completely over from scratch & just set up my Samsung TV without ROKU to get the Samsung remote back then somehow try to install ROKU without it using the ROKU remote. (As I said before, I am not technical & already I'm getting a big headache!) I prefer to know how to set this all up where it will all work, & I am willing to go through the headache of learning how but a person needs to be very patient with me, which I would very much appreciate. I am going to return the Sony Blu Ray with a non-working door & get a player directly from Sony in hopes that I won't receive one which is broken. At that point, I will try to connect the Blu Ray AFTER I have gone through the steps to get my Samsung TV functioning with it's remote & ROKU. OMG. It's awful just thinking about it. If you see something I am doing wrong, please let me know. I am patient & will wait for any responses you might research to help me. Already, you have enlightened me on so much & I thank you! Confessa

I just now read your edit that the tablet won't work. I don't use any other devices on my TV such as laptops, phones, etc. I only want to use the ROKU + BluRay DVD player. I did at one point a few years back, use my laptop on my TV which I thought was pretty cool at the time, but I now feel it is more secure to have it separate from my TV.

Ok. I think I have it sorted now. On your Samsung TV remote, press the Home button. That should bring up the Smart Hub screen on your TV. Just to the right of the Settings Cog should be a Source option. This option should allow you to change between which externally connected device you want to view, either your Blu-Ray player or your Roku device.

Here's a link to your TV Manual. The remote functions are on the first few pages.
Samsung UN49MU8000F Manual

-Wolf sends

Mar 2, 2024
Thank you so much for all your help! I will try setting resetting my Samsung TV back to factory settings, if possible, in order to get my Samsung remote back. Then I will try re-installing my ROKU on HDMI1, using the Samsung remote. This is where I may have issues, but it is worth a try. I will then order a Sony Blu Ray that works & install that on HDMI2, using the Samsung remote. Hopefully all this will work. I appreciate you sending a link to my TV manual - Samsung UN49MU8000F. I will save that for future references. I hope there are not any more issues. If so, I hope I will be able to get in contact with you again. I will let you know how everything is proceeding.

While I may be wrong here, you shouldn't need to reset anything. Even with my Roku Streaming Stick installed and using it's remote control to turn my TV on and off, my original Westinghouse remote still works the same; On/Off, Channel and Volume Up/Down, etc.

At any rate, I hope you get things resolved and if need be, I'll still be here should you need any more assistance.

-Wolf sends

Mar 2, 2024
I'm going to need to set aside some time to figure it all out. I will let you know how it all turns out. Thank you for being there (past & future).