Samsung: We Don't Want to Buy RIM BlackBerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Today, Samsung cleared up rumors with a public statement: It doesn't want RIM and it never did.
Ouch, but the truth hurts. This company was a titan only 5 years ago, they got lazy and too relaxed in the R&D department, their OS is one that very few really support (except a few straggling businesses), their handsets feel dated, every recent launch of a new product has been a bit of a flop. Samsung is smart to not want to touch this company, any other company looking for an acquisition that is smart will probably do the same right now if they knew what a bad investment looked like. Face it, RIM is the new Palm.......

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Any time Jane posts anything about Rim I can't help but remember this fantastic article. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Jim-Balsillie-RIM-App-Store-Distortion-Field-Steve-Jobs,news-8386.html

But on topic I am a but surprised people would believe these rumors. Samsung would have little benefit from purchasing them. One of the problems that exist is the fact that Samsung seems to enjoy making Android based mobile devices and why wouldn't they? The purchase of Rim would just make this confusing if they continue with the BlackBerry OS they will simply be competing with themselves, and if they don't... then why bother?

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
It is a shame they weren't more forward thinking. They really need to jump to the Android OS if they wanna get anywhere. Their OS is no good.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I think i already mentioned this yesterday. Samsung won't benefit from RIM...RIM has nothing to offer. See? Samsung are no fools....buy RIM for 15b??? LOL. RIM can dream on....

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Samsung may just be driving the stock further down before they jump on it.
You just never know; at the right -low- price RIM's patent portfolio may be worth it.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Clearly I peaked in 2010.[/citation]

Aww don't take it like that. Just know that your the best here and that your articles are worth being memorable.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Samsung may just be driving the stock further down before they jump on it.You just never know; at the right -low- price RIM's patent portfolio may be worth it.[/citation]
Exactly!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Samsung may just be driving the stock further down before they jump on it.You just never know; at the right -low- price RIM's patent portfolio may be worth it.[/citation]

I thought about this too but letting the company actually just go under first and having a bid on the patents would likely cost less. Buying RIM outright means all the patents in one bundle, while that sounds good that means a higher price and includes patents Samsung may have no interest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.