Samsung: We'll Ship 10,000,000 Galaxy Tabs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]So that means they predict the global market for tablets will be 30 million next year? Seems a little much to me[/citation]
Last year over 58 million netbooks were sold, and we are expecting a slew of Windows and Android based tablets to hit for next year. I think an optimistic target of half the netbook market being either cannibalised or added to from an expanding market would be realistic.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i see tablets eating away at netbooks market if their prices and specs are competitive. all things equal i would go for a tablet instead of a netbook.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I assume they will be very cheap, only way to know for sure that they will boom not taking into account their use, just due to the price, if they are 100USD even though I wont use it.. why not grab one? Its just 100 and it looks nice.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]i see tablets eating away at netbooks market if their prices and specs are competitive[/citation]
For non-cell enabled models the prices should be almost the same, I personally would go for that option and get a Mifi to get the internet coverage. Prices for using a Mifi are a lot better than being screwed by the big cell-carriers who bump up the contract to pay for the subsidised hardware.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I have bad experiences with Samsung's smartphones.
Lots of problems but stil useable.
If one of those Tablet cost about USD200-300 (€150-250) without any kind of contract, I wil close my eyes towards the problems and buy one of those.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
At the end of 2011...I will be having (currently) HTC Desire, Toshiba Satellite L550D, Panasonic FZ38, and (coming) a tablet PC in my pocket...
hmmmm....something is wrong here.... hahahahahaha

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Just checked the price of a MiFi from "3" in the UK
£40 for the unit, £15 a month for 5Gb of usage and a rolling 1 month contract.
They can do a 15Gb a month for £17 but then tie you to 24 m onth contract, but seeing as you are not going to torrent onto your tablet I can see 5Gb allowance being relatively sufficient, even for those who like to watch Lolcats on Youtube for hours on end.

G

It is a wannabe, because it wants to get into the market that the iPad creates.

Instead of bashing Apple for this and that, why don't you ask the other vendors to try create a market themselves in the first place.

The tablet pc and umpc attempts previously failed miserably, because, everybody just try to squeeze a notebook into smaller form factor. Even the netbook are just attempts to make notebooks even smaller without trying to improve how to use them.

Bash Apple all you want. But without iPhone and iPad, do you think Samsung (or any other vendor with similar products in the pipeline) will be able design and release the Galaxy Tab in this year or next year?

G

Wouldn't buy anything Samsung. My Samsung 52" HD LCD TV, which is not 3 years old yet, is making a hissing sound and the first time you turn it on you get pink pixilation. I was asking that they have a recall, since many more people were experiencing the same thing. When I contacted them, they indicated that my warranty was for 1 year and said goodbye. Not a company that cares for their customers or the quality of their products in my opinion.

G

It only says they'll "ship" 10,000,000 Not that they'll "sell" 10,000,000 I suspect they'll be buried in the Arizona desert next to all the Atari ET cartridges.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
7 in is too small. I used an jailbroken ipad and love the size. Sorry Samsung. I will be buying the best rated 10 in android tablet. Hopefully the Viewsonic will get froyo or Asus will come out with something nice.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]sean_et[/nom]It only says they'll "ship" 10,000,000 Not that they'll "sell" 10,000,000 I suspect they'll be buried in the Arizona desert next to all the Atari ET cartridges.[/citation]

Hey hey hey... I liked the Atari ET game...

Oh, and if they use their own OS, this will be epic FAIL.
It isn't terrible but it isn't up to par....

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
If they could somehow get the tab to integrate in with an android phone to the point where you were obligated to use one or the other, they could convince carriers to offer companion pricing for 3g access. I could see this being a huge success; pick up a Galaxy S (or any other android phone) and you can get the Tab for an extra $10 a month, and it can make/take calls and do everything else the phone can do so you have the choice to carry an ultraportable or a non-pocketable portable...

puscifer919

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]Hey hey hey... I liked the Atari ET game...Oh, and if they use their own OS, this will be epic FAIL.It isn't terrible but it isn't up to par....[/citation]
What do you mean "if they use their own OS"? It's an Android tablet. It's going to run the Android OS.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]puscifer919[/nom]What do you mean "if they use their own OS"? It's an Android tablet. It's going to run the Android OS.[/citation]

That's relieving then... the article doesn't mention that and I can say that based on my last Samsung phone, their OS knowledge would never extend to a tablet... Glad to hear it is Android...

G

I would like a tablet. I don't consider them to be a replacement pc but a different kind of tool. I would like something to put on my coffee table to check the tv listings or my email. If a tablet maker thew in a 10 cent IR emitter that could control my "entertainment" system I would be another 100.00-200.00 happier. At least they are not built into fridges and microwaves!. If it can act as a hdtv player has outputs and inputs then I would consider it a great tool.

My question is why is it taking so long to get these things to market. All I hear is talk. I cannot believe nothing mainstream has made it to the Box shops yet except for Archos.

david714

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
And it will have broken GPS just like their galaxy android phones. But don't return it to the store, we have a software fix on the way and it will be released sometime soon.

drhenks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]7 in is too small. I used an jailbroken ipad and love the size. Sorry Samsung. I will be buying the best rated 10 in android tablet. Hopefully the Viewsonic will get froyo or Asus will come out with something nice.[/citation]
Amen. As fast as an EeePC, 10", Froyo, sub $400 and I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.