Samsung: We're Going to be #1 in Phone Markets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

wow, everyone is so keen for the underhand South Korean giant to succeed against one of the current few American success stories in Apple.
Strange.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Won't happen, way to many Android devices out there. Everybody and their mom is making one and compelling ones at that. They do have a sweet looking Mango lineup coming though so that will help but everyone say's that they have or will beat Apple and it has not happened yet.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]It seems that to you "quality" just means the device has to have a good exterior. Clearly the GS2 has far superior hardware to the IP5.iPhones and Ipods touches are inconsistant in terms of quality (I have two iPod Touch g4's that I purchased on the same day, and the screen brightness and color temperature are totally different between the two).[/citation]

The phone is more than just hardware spec's. If you take Samsung's Galaxy S or even the S2 and hold it in one and and hold a IP4 in your other hand and close your eye's the IP4 feels wayyyyyy more solid. This is fact. The Samsung feels like a cheap plastic toy. Quality is Quality, you can have a fast proc, or a memory slot but if the phone is cheaply made all that means squat.

Reminds me of the whole GM/Chevy/Ford/Chrysler vs Toyota/Honda/Mazda comparisons. The reason why GM and the like where about to go out of business is because they where building cars with great engines and good transmissions but when you got into them it was all vacuum molded plastic. Just because the engine was good does not mean the car is quality. Look at their cars now, much much better materials used , still with solid engines and transmissions and they are now profitable. Go figure.... Good stuff is good stuff and consumers vote with their dollars.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Samsung is already the #1 in LCD panel. It is one of the biggest in RAM and Flash memory. It is getting bigger and bigger in HD... now It is almost #1 in smartphone.. and possibly buying out HP to be the #1 PC maker.... with Samsung's track record on the dirty/anti-competitive business practice (take their LCD domination as an example)... Isn't that kind of scary?[/citation]

They're not buying HP's PC business. They can make sleek and thin phones thanks to their amoled screens. The problem with samsung is that much of their success was due to their high end smart phones. Once when smart phones become mainstream many other manufacturers can produce them for a cheap price.

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Only the first iphone feels solid and sturdy, all the newer iphones suck in quality including the stupid iphone 4. Samsung phones feels very light, which i prefer in a smartphone, not looking to carry around a freaking brick in my pocket. I personally prefer the LG G2X w/ google, only because it has the dual proc. while the new Galaxy S II cost too much.

G

Android dominates apple overall and Samsung dominates Android phones. The galaxy is fantastic, not as integrated as the iphone 4 but much more flexible. I like flexible. I don't like to be told like Apple does to you.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mdbrit[/nom]wow, everyone is so keen for the underhand South Korean giant to succeed against one of the current few American success stories in Apple.Strange.[/citation]

Well the Korean company have a good offer at a fair price, not just a shiny shell with less inside. I rather take the inside when it comes to hardware. Seems most here have made that choice too!

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Reminds me of the whole GM/Chevy/Ford/Chrysler vs Toyota/Honda/Mazda comparisons. The reason why GM and the like where about to go out of business is because they where building cars with great engines and good transmissions but when you got into them it was all vacuum molded plastic. Just because the engine was good does not mean the car is quality. Look at their cars now, much much better materials used , still with solid engines and transmissions and they are now profitable. Go figure.... Good stuff is good stuff and consumers vote with their dollars.[/citation]

i don't know what Jap cars you get where you are, i you have to be on crack to think that the American cars had anything good in them. the jap cars didn't just have better quality plastics they had more efficient motors, more powerful motors, more reliable everything and more features and charged the same or less for that cars. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why they all went broke. the only reason they did well in the beginning was because countries had the snot bombed out of them in wwII and had no infrastructure so they had no competition for ages and as soon as the other countries got every thing back in order they started out selling them with better cars for less.

sorry this doesn't have much to do with phones, i have an iPhone 4 (didnt buy would never to such a heinous thing its a work phone) it is easily the worst phone i have ever used. its a rubbish phone packed with gimmicks that you have to pay extra for.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Last time I''ve checked:
Apple - 18% of smartphone market
Samsung - 17.5% of smarthpone market.[/citation]

Samsung Galaxy S2 sold 5 million phones last quarter (Samsung's own numbers). Apple sold 20 million iPhones that same quarter. This is Apple's one year old iPhone that's on its way out vs Samsung's latest and greatest phone.

I don't know where you're getting those sales figures from, unless you're counting the boatloads of cheap smartphones/feature phones they're also selling. Samsung isn't anywhere near Apple sales figures when you compare the top-of-the-line phones from both companies. Who cares how many "low to mid range" phones Samsung sells - Apple doesn't compete in that market.

Maybe this is Samsung has stopped publishing sales figures for their smartphones and tablets. If you don't publish figures you can make up anything you want.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Last time I''ve checked:Apple - 18% of smartphone marketSamsung - 17.5% of smarthpone market.With superiour hardware, no wonder they'll get #1 soon.[/citation]

Don't know where you're getting your figures from, unless you're including all the "low to mid range" phones Samsung sells.

Samsung sold 5 million Galaxy S2's last quarter (their own figures). Apple sold 20 million iPhones last quarter. That's 4 times as many of Apple's one-year-old phones at the end of their life cycle vs Samsung's latest-and-greatest.

Who cares how many cheap phones Samsung sells - Apple doesn't compete in that market. Let's compare Apples to Apples, shall we. :)

Maybe this is why Samsung has stopped publishing sales figures for their smartphones and tablets. If you don't publish figures you can make up anything.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Last time I''ve checked:Apple - 18% of smartphone marketSamsung - 17.5% of smarthpone market.With superiour hardware, no wonder they'll get #1 soon.[/citation]

Don't know where you're getting your figures from, unless you're including all the "low to mid range" phones Samsung sells.

Samsung sold 5 million Galaxy S2's last quarter (their own figures). Apple sold 20 million iPhones last quarter. That's 4 times as many of Apple's one-year-old phones at the end of their life cycle vs Samsung's latest-and-greatest.

Who cares how many cheap phones Samsung sells - Apple doesn't compete in that market. Let's compare Apples to Apples, shall we. :)

Maybe this is why Samsung has stopped publishing sales figures for their smartphones and tablets. If you don't publish figures you can make up anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.