Question Satellite RF VS Forty-Year-Old Panasonic Radio?

Nov 1, 2021
70's / 80's radios still able to decode RF signals through satellite or do I still need an aerial?

Trying to help an Eighty-Year-Old friend of ours get his favorite old radios working but
don't think it's going to happen as he's recently had satellite installed (unless the installer left the aerial in tact)

Not sure what you are asking here, why would the satellite setup do anything with the radio if it used to work that would need this? I don't see an installer taking anything down unless asked, you should check with that first.

If this satellite thing that was installed was for TV, it's a digital signal that goes into their decoder box, and would not work for a OTA radio signal but you can glue a home made antenna to the dish. Which does not make much sense since even if whoever installed the satellite dish removed the other antenna, I doubt it's hard to just install one in the same place, and the wiring is likely to still be there. There is no need to mess with the satellite dish for this it seems.

Nov 1, 2021
Not sure what you are asking here, why would the satellite setup do anything with the radio if it used to work that would need this? I don't see an installer taking anything down unless asked, you should check with that first.

If this satellite thing that was installed was for TV, it's a digital signal that goes into their decoder box, and would not work for a OTA radio signal but you can glue a home made antenna to the dish. Which does not make much sense since even if whoever installed the satellite dish removed the other antenna, I doubt it's hard to just install one in the same place, and the wiring is likely to still be there. There is no need to mess with the satellite dish for this it seems.

Hi, I live in NZ who are not too savvy with tech and don't appreciate being taught anything new from those outside the country (they're a tad xenophobic and the oldies fear progress more than a 1930's conspiracy author).

As such they believe in 'out with the old' (ie; we no longer have wired copper lines / phones; just fiber-driven dependent on cell / wi-fi towers and electricity, of which there is none of, in instance of a disaster when you need the phone most to let your spouse know that supper may be a little late.)
They also, recently, outlawed plastic bags here as they were not being used properly ( remember the Coke bottle in the 80's film 'The Gods Must Be Crazy'? ).

Although I am not certain, I am pretty sure Sat techs here rip down any aerials they find when installing their dishes.

We cannot get the old radios working at my house as our aerial blew down from the roof after a storm and we only have a dish which a neighbor installed for us...or so I suspect unless old radios can pull their signals from sat dishes.