Satellite Telephone Systems Found to be Insecure

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Well, this is a big duh.

Anything that goes thru the air from point a to point b is insecure...

If they it's "secure" today, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.....

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well there's always laser communication, I mean that's been proven to work.
The biggest downside is targeting and maintaining a lock on a satellite. :| Which is almost pointless for any kind of deployment.. lol

But at least it's safe, because you'll kinda notice any helicopters or planes trying to intercept it and it's a direct line from A to B so there's no real way for anyone to pick up a signal to crack in the first place.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Some government is happy about their findings. Now they can use this feature to spy on their citizens.[/citation]

If researchers at a German university can figure this out, you can be sure that intelligence agencies around the world have figured this out long ago.

G

My first reading of the title was... "Poor little satellites up their feeling insecure about themselves. You know fiber being so much more reliable... feeling like they can't compete/keep up with ground based systems that don't suffer from cloud cover and all"

Followed my oh... duh wrong insecure. I see how this can be a problem, but one can still use an encryption on their sat phone beyond that of the satellite encoding or?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
lol....no wonder the Taliban is able to figure out when and where troops will deploy.....we all know that most of the communication between our leaders are via satellite

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
"Satellite Telephone Systems Found to be Insecure" OH REALLY SHERLOCK?
satellite telephone interception is as old as before the cold war.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Well there's always laser communication... it's a direct line from A to B so there's no real way for anyone to pick up a signal to crack in the first place.[/citation]

...no way that we know off YET :)

G

Satellite phones are still the best means of communications in times of natural disasters. When your terrestrial land line or mobile phone won’t work because of an earthquake or hurricane, you won’t care about secure voice. Also satellite phone airtime is already way below $1 per minute www.gmpcs-us.com has affordable solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.