Satellites Will Be Used to Catch You Speeding

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Dealing with an imbedded microchip or RFID tag while leaving the sticker human-readable sounds like an excellent use for a Dremel...
Or, once applied by (or in sight of) a local parasite, steam it off, scan it to make a visually identical copy for your plate, and leave the "real" one in your garage, or take it with you when you're just going down to the corner store.

cichy69

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
[citation][nom]Jonnydough[/nom]"You cannot make men good by law: and without good men you cannot have a good society." ~ C. S. LewisBe a good man, and have no need for law."Laws are not masters but servants, and he rules them who obeys them." ~ Henry Ward BeecherI'm not religious but..."But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers." ~ Bible, 1 Timothy 1. 8-9."The good need fear no law; it is his safety, and the bad man's awe." ~ Ben Jonson"Ignorance of the law excuses no man; not that all men know the law, but because it is an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to confute him." ~ John Selden"The verdict acquits the raven, but condemns the dove." ~ JuvenalI never said a word about giving up freedom. If you act in accordance with the law set before you which is reasonable (speed limits are there to protect others, not inhibit your freedom) then you should not have fear of the law. You seem to want to make a basic law into something about freedom. The authorities simply want a way to enforce it without having to put so many police with radar guns on the road. Can't fault them for being sensible, especially if it saves tax dollars and keeps. It's the logical move, albiet it might feel a bit like we're being watched. How many people like policemen these days though? Would you rather have a man present watching your driving? Would that change the fact that people speed and shouldn't and ought to be held accountable to laws that protect pedestrians, other drivers, etc?[/citation]

you're also agreeing to give up your right to privacy, for apparent security that you think gov't watching through the satellite will give you. Do you think it will stop at just catching people going over the speed limit? I don't. This is just a first step, then they might spy on you walking down the street.

.. I why if I oppose this satellite 'spying' people already assume that I must be regularly going over the speed limit?

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I'm not a fan of big brother keeping tabs on me either, but then again I'm not doing anything illegal. I like the idea of catching car theives and criminals using satellites, but I don't like the idea of anyone tracking me.

Wow I have known people that were "not doing anything illegal" that wound up in jail. The justice system is full of tens of thousands of people that did not do anything illegal.

And yes, you can go to jail (and even be put to death) based on circumstantial evidence. All it takes is the police to think or want you to be the person who committed the crime. They can find witnesses easily enough (some people will lie to put you in jail if they believe you committed the crime). All they need to do is convince a jury - something the DA will be able to do better than your most likely cheap lawyer. It happens a lot. Just look at all the people exonerated on DNA evidence - some of these people had upward of 9 witnesses. A lot of times the people were in the vicinity of the crime and vaguely matched the generic description of the assailant (such as white male, 20-30s, normal height, brown hair, or black male, normal height, 30s).

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
"It would also eliminate the need for physical speed traps, allowing departments to assign officers to other duties."

This, nothing more ridiculous than a statey clearly pointing his radar onto oncoming highway traffic causing congestion as everyone slows down to "safe speeds". At least one person's getting a kick out of it.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]ms1191[/nom]Prove it was me driving the car.[/citation]
The law doesn't need to. If you haven't taken a speeding ticket to court yet, you probably don't know that you are GUILTY unless you have 100% hard proof (which you never will).

There was a case of a gentleman's son getting pulled over for speeding but the GPS in the car showed that his son wasnt. He took it to court and lost because he didn't have the alogrythms used to calculate the speed on the in car GPS.

Speeding is a another tax on the people. There is no way out of the fine. If you don't agree with it , stand up against these crooks because I promise you, they are getting speeding tickets.

In court, Judges are ALWAYS 200% on the side of the Police. I recent read about 25 pages of people going through court and saying that the police officer lied on the stand and the judge would come back during the sentence and say "there is no reason for the officer to lie, he could loose his job" when in all reality we know that's EXACTLY why that officers lie.

Police are trained in the mentality its "us vs them(citizens)". Until someone gets rid of the police or gives them ALL a real consequence(like murdering their family, (joke dont take that literally)) NOTHING will change.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
TOMS!!!!! your editing post options SUCK. I read your FAQ posted weekly on the news sites and I still have NO CLUE HOW TO EDIT MY POST, figure a new method out, because the one you have is beyond crappy.

G

Maybe the US government should start charging billions to use said satellites, maybe that will change their minds

G

This is old technology. The satellite is purely providing a land based camera on the side of the road a GPS signal....that being an exact time and location of that camera. No different to your garmin or tom-tom. That way the next camera down the road has a sync time and it is then more acceptable by the legal system as both cameras are operating on the same atomic clock. Nothing new here and only us

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
As said before, there is already a fix to this. Drive into the area - stop for gas/petrol, food, see a friend - continue on motorway at 150miles per hour to destination. Average speed is slow enough over time...

kylelively

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]loneeagle[/nom]The fine will go to the owner.So, just borrow your friend's car or someone you don't like![/citation]

The person driving the car is responsible for the actions that the car takes. Meaning that you cant hold a car owner responsible because there is no way to tell if it was indeed him driving the car. Be responsible and THINK! If you lent your car to a friend and he got pulled over for speeding. HE would get a ticket. The cop wouldn't say, "Oh, this isn't your car. Let me just look up who the owner is and send him the ticket"

G

is it really true that speeding tickets are being issued in FLA. using SUNPASS? and if they are, does anyone here actually know anyone that has gotten such a ticket, i have heard stories, but i dont think this is true, rumor is all it is i think! if one went to court, the judge would throw out any ticket using sunpass, as was said, how could anyone prove who was even driving? i dont think anyone would have to pay a speeding ticket if no one could even prove they drove a car that day or not!!!
now saying the owner can legally get a speeding ticket this way, we in the twilight ZONE or what? now one can be held for any accident while some uses their car with permission, that i think is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS