Say What? Google Patents Its Home Page

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

borath_the_great

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I patented the process of thinking!!! So do not even try to think before sending me a dollar to Kazakhstan!!! Or else police will confiscate your head!!!

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
This makes perfect sense to me. Google's design, while plain, was pretty ground breaking considering the popular search engines at the time. Yahoo, all the meta search sites, excite, etc were extremely cluttered and based on the "everyone in once place" concept. Google came along and altered the perception that people want more more more by proving simplicity works. With all of the potential search engine competition out there (how many engines are there now?), I'm not surprised they want to protect one of the key factors of their popularity spike when they first started.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I like google's home page, but then, I almost always choose speed and simplicity over fancy, cluttered, and slow.

Despite that, I find nothing novel or innovative about google's home page design. I do find it refreshingly simple and fast, but that's not something you should be able to patent.

Props to google for speed and simplicity, but a patent on your web page design? I vote no on that one.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Another reason to stop using Google altogether for me. Stupid corporations do not deserve my use and money.[/citation]Great idea. Just whose search engine are you going to use? M$ Binghoo? Notso Cuil? Ask what? AlteredVista? Lycosuction?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
To all those who want to patent the wheel or the alphabet just to prove the patent system is broken: Google is doing it!
Google (IMO) is just trying to change the world (SIMPLE as that) because they are going to the OS market, browser market, app market and (IMO rightfully) think they don't want to deal with i4something when they (involuntarily, no way to know all the patents around at the time) breach some portion of a vague code patented somewhere and not famous or good enough to steal. They might settle easily in court or out of it but still waste precious time that should be spent developing instead of feeding lawyers.

Thurin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Silly thought here...

Get rid of the right to sue and the right to patent products.
Bring back a (mis)use at your own risk rule, while policing the proper fabrication and safety of all products and services.

And clean up the whole judicial system in a big "spring" cleaning event.

In my honest to God opinion, there is altogether too much suing, lying, stealing and overall dishonesty in the world and the whole patent and judicial system as it is at present day is only stimulating these things rather than admonishing or demotivating people from getting involved in such things.

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.