Scammers Take to eBay to Distribute Malware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]basically, it's all depending on the "Autorun" feature that comes with windows, once a device is plug into the pc OR in case the "Autorun" was disabled by the user, curiosity if you know what I mean ^_^I disabled the "Autorun" and check the contents of each device I plug using the command prompt... If I see some malicious code I delete both the Autorun.inf and the executable file...[/citation]

I was really thinking along the lines of modding the firmware to spoof a usb id to windows, allowing it to think it's recognized device(i.e. certain printers) in an attempt execute code.

None the less good advice to turn autorun off and generally be careful of unknown files....

[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]What I really want to know is: How did digital code steal cash?[/citation]

Cash has always been about trust, unfortunately we trust 1's and 0's these days. If you can manipulate the numbers one way or another you can get cash.

Online banking details of one user > worthless card skimmed account of another + atm = cash.

Credit card details > empty house > goods bought online sold cheap = cash.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
The good thing is that it's easier to track. So if they are gonna steel my info, i'd rather it be through an ebay item in which I have evidence and the police have something to work with, rather than some random drive by download.

G

How do you format a thumb drive or iPod without connecting it to your PC?

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]What Distro have you been using? There is no need for anybody to load a module and recompile squat to get Wi-Fi to work, in most Distro's it is set up automatically and if not it's set up using a GUI driven tool. As to the average user, they use what they are given and they cope. The average user is not as stupid as you think and if they were presented with a Linux PC they would cope and get on with it. Virus free of course.[/citation]

I didn't really clarify that enough, not to install all wifi, just when new hardware isn't supported. I actually ran into this recently with a card that came with a mini itx motherboard. I have installed Linux on my girlfriends pc, and her probably being the average user has had too many problems with it, but then again I've been around to fix/install stuff and refer her to open source alternatives to programs she used in Windows. Regular consumers aren't dumb, just upset when things don't work automatically.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Hmmm... I think I'll cancel this toaster I just bought off eBay.[/citation]
I didn't think Fermi was for sale yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.