Scanners Could Bring 3D Printing to the Masses

Status
Not open for further replies.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I work in a school for visually impaired children. We just got our first 3D printer (CubeX Trio). It will be useful to create tactile object for the kids to learn geometry for example. We are also looking at 3D scanners but we'll see.

I am new to 3D modelling so I tried to make a simple shape (hexagonal cylinder with rounded edges) and print it.

It's actually a lot easier than most people think. It took about one minute to model the object* and 22 minutes to print it (roughly 2 X 2 X 2 cm). And the plastic is a lot sturdier than I thought it would be. Very cool stuff !

* after spending an hour or two watching a few tutorials of course. ^^

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I work in a school for visually impaired children. We just got our first 3D printer (CubeX Trio). It will be useful to create tactile object for the kids to learn geometry for example. We are also looking at 3D scanners but we'll see.

I am new to 3D modelling so I tried to make a simple shape (hexagonal cylinder with rounded edges) and print it.

It's actually a lot easier than most people think. It took about one minute to model the object* and 22 minutes to print it (roughly 2 X 2 X 2 cm). And the plastic is a lot sturdier than I thought it would be. Very cool stuff !

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Sorry the article was too long for me to read all of but I have a question... wouldnt a scanner not bring 3d printing to the masses but rather 3d modeling? I mean if you make a model in a program now it takes a long time and its really hard etc etc etc... but if you have a home 3d scanner your model is done in seconds! Sure then you can give out the dimensions and model to people who have 3d printers but that doesnt DRIVE the 3d printing market just because there are more models on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.