Scareware Author Slammed With 4-Year Prison Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I think before people are allowed to buy their next PC, they should be forced to sit in a class to learn about these kinds of threats and how to avoid, remove and ignore them. (Or take a test to show you are knowledgeable on the subject or have a family member/friend who is)

It should be a license of sorts (for free) that doesn't let you into the system unless you have a license to use a computer (only during initial setup do you need to put this code in) to show you aren't a clueless idiot who's about to be scammed out of hundreds or even thousands upon the first fake virus scanner.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]InSoManyWays[/nom]Natural selection.[/citation]

More than 99.99% of the global GDP is based on trust. Societies to relationships can't exist without trust.

In a study, the researchers noticed that economies were usually weaker in societies with weak trust (usually because of political or other instabilities).

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I was so pissed when I was just trying to look at some ladies on the internet on my old junker laptop and suddenly I got the "FBI is coming for me if I don't send $200" virus. That peice of crap virus corrupted the recovery software as well. Soooo I got to explain to my wife what the heck that message was when she for some reason decided to open that laptop up (probably to look at some gents on the internet lol).Anywho, he deserves much worse if only for that argument.[/citation]

You know what's even more fun?

When your hard drive, the ENTIRE HARD DRIVE, is encrypted in 256-bit AES, and a popup tells to to pay $300 to undo it.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]You know what's even more fun?When your hard drive, the ENTIRE HARD DRIVE, is encrypted in 256-bit AES, and a popup tells to to pay $300 to undo it.[/citation]I haven't heard of that one... Encrypting a 500gb to 2TB drive would take hours though, you didn't notice it grinding away?

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I haven't heard of that one... Encrypting a 500gb to 2TB drive would take hours though, you didn't notice it grinding away?[/citation]
Perhaps the Hidden attribute was applied to his files so they looked like they were gone.. I have seen that happen to people before.. the content (but not the folder itself) of their documents or music folder have been turned to hidden.. simply enabling the "Show Hidden Files.." open was a simple fix there.. and then unhiding them after that..

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Seriously?! How does this guy get a prison sentence but that btch Kristy Ross got a slap in the wrist? That woman created software that netted hundreds of millions, scammed millions of people and potentially led to the identity theft of thousands of people. Look her up, she and her accomplices were only fined $163 million and that's only a fraction of what they profited.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Wall street robbed you of trillions bit yeah let's lynch this guy[/citation]
Wall street didn't rob me of sh*t. My job didnt change, my title didnt change, a matter of fact I got a raise, and way more than just the tiny living expense per year raise. This guy almost had my mom clicking on his BS scam if she had not called me to make sure. So yeah, lynch this guy. Dont mess with a dudes mom :) you get lynched in TX for that.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I haven't heard of that one... Encrypting a 500gb to 2TB drive would take hours though, you didn't notice it grinding away?[/citation]

I think it occurred after I left the computer on overnight so it could install a service pack.

Nevertheless, I nuked the hard drive after the encryption assault and used a backup.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]You know what's even more fun?When your hard drive, the ENTIRE HARD DRIVE, is encrypted in 256-bit AES, and a popup tells to to pay $300 to undo it.[/citation]
You know what's even more fun? Not making regular backups and running Windows without an antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.