Scary: Bill Grants President Control of Internet

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"I won't formulate an opinion based on a three paragraph story, and I know that like 99% of you, I will not read the bill....but man this is scary only because we all know it will not be implement properly and it will be a disaster for some time. Surely we all remember the terrorist threat alerts? What a farce..."

Implementing and controls on the internet is not proper.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"direct the national response to the cyber threat,"

This bill is only ment to stop a cyber attack on our country. Apprently there are more and more talks about how the US could be attacked via the internet. OH NO, My computer has a virus... who cares? A virus or spyware is not a huge deal...
Format c: ... Fixed.. even without a norton/mcafee fix

"...the government would exercise control over your computers or network,"

The stupid writers over at C-Net are trying to CREATE news where there is none. Especially with this line. This line gives the idea that men in black suits would walk in and sieze all of you computers. The ONLY THING this bill does is cut off the internet or limit access. For myself at home this would mean that I can play LAN games/ do file transfers with the computers in my house but no internet connection. I would have a LAN connection. They cannot controll that because you disconnect your internet cable. This means you can print and use the computer with NO problems you just wouldn't be able to do anything on the internet (during the cyber attack or whatever). The some thing is true for corporate networks but there is some confusion that can skewed to make news. If your whole company resides in 1 building you will still be able to use your computer, print make office documents etc. Once again you simply wouldn't be able to do anything with the internet. Here is part where they make people worry. They make it sound like they will shut down your local network they will not. They have no power over your LAN but they DO have power over WANs. WAN means wide area network. And despite being private the data travels of the internet which would be shut off. Your company likely has a WAN connection that goes from one location to another. For example. If you have offices in Minneapolis and Kansas city. Those offices are likely connected over a WAN which like I said is part of the internet and would be unusable. Basically, you would have a network working only in the building/local buildings next to each other. But not if it's distant over a WAN.

Being a LAN Tech II for a corporation; does this bill worry me at all? No, it is ment to protect us, nothing else. Stop worrying about it, this is just like so many other storys where the truth is bent or skewed to CREATE NEWS and cause fear and controversy. C-Net is hoping lots of people read that article. How do you think they make thier money. Do you think they would get lots of visits if they did a article about how a new bill will protect us? No, it needs to be controversal something people will talk about. That is why the Star and Equirer completely lie. They have done it so much that they have no crediblity with the public. Real news outlets take the truth and try to bend it and make it sound scarry because that kind of news gets peoples attention. ...even the headline to this article says "scary"

jab416171

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
By what means is he going to "Shut down" the internet?
Call every ISP individually, demanding they stop providing service?
What about phone networks that provide internet?
This seems like it would take a few hours, maybe a day, to actually go through.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
this would only make sense if the president already has this power over the telephone system. internet has never been the only way to communicate with computers and networks of computers.

G

What if the next President is another Bush? I don't think Obama would misuse this power but who knows what the low brow, knuckle dragging right will do.

G

It's no surprise here.. First he reinstates the patriot act.. Now he controls the kill switch to the internet WTF... Continues the war in Iraq and DOUBLES our forces in Afghanistan... Huge corporate bribes , just google Monsata and Obama.. Huge bank bailouts, Huge bailouts to corporations , GM etc.. Dude, this is not the "change" I was looking for. Obama-deception, go watch it. Even antiwar calls this guy a sham..

G

Oh my mistake.. "monsato" , better yet, just watch any anti-bush film from the last 8 years and tell me it doesn't apply towards this guy.. He's just a better composed Bush, same policies, same war, same bribes.. There is no Right or Left anymore, just look at McCain's policies.. Almost identical to Obama. They both wanted bank bailouts, war, etc.

G

I'm not a RIGHT WINGER,, F-BUSH!! , but F-Obama too, he's continuing the Bush policies.. Are you just blindly following this guy ideological faith that you have in your side? Yay, "my side won".. Dude, it's not even about that anymore, both sides = same.

You are such a Hypocrite, if McCain was doing the exact same thing Obama has been doing (Corp bailouts, War, Internet Kill Switch) you would be up in arms, but because it's the guy with the blue background behind him you're all compliant like sheeple.. Yay we won! oh wait... nothing "changed"... "Hmmm, Well uh you're just a dumb right winger, everything is good now, uhhh, stop telling me facts". Seriously.. Obama and Bush are merely puppets for the corporations that OWN these guys, Military industrial complex, etc.. MAJORITY OF AMERICANS WANT OUT OF THE WAR, yet how come Obama and McCain are for it? Hmmm... MOST AMERICANS WANT NO BAILOUTS, yet how come Obama and McCain are for it? Christ, 4x more people are killed by motorcycles than terrorists, yet we spend trillions on it? It's reeeetarded...

The differences between Obama and McCain are trivial, and in many ways they are the same, obviously you have to have money to run and to get money you must have power over the media and get bribes from corporations / unions etc.. The last bastion against total government control is the "internets" and Obama wants the power to turn it off? Screw that!

wwwskunkballscom

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
[citation][nom]skunkballscom[/nom]I'm not a RIGHT WINGER,, F-BUSH!! , but F-Obama too, he's continuing the Bush policies.. Are you just blindly following this guy ideological faith that you have in your side? Yay, "my side won".. Dude, it's not even about that anymore, both sides = same.You are such a Hypocrite, if McCain was doing the exact same thing Obama has been doing (Corp bailouts, War, Internet Kill Switch) you would be up in arms, but because it's the guy with the blue background behind him you're all compliant like sheeple.. Yay we won! oh wait... nothing "changed"... "Hmmm, Well uh you're just a dumb right winger, everything is good now, uhhh, stop telling me facts". Seriously.. Obama and Bush are merely puppets for the corporations that OWN these guys, Military industrial complex, etc.. MAJORITY OF AMERICANS WANT OUT OF THE WAR, yet how come Obama and McCain are for it? Hmmm... MOST AMERICANS WANT NO BAILOUTS, yet how come Obama and McCain are for it? Christ, 4x more people are killed by motorcycles than terrorists, yet we spend trillions on it? It's reeeetarded...The differences between Obama and McCain are trivial, and in many ways they are the same, obviously you have to have money to run and to get money you must have power over the media and get bribes from corporations / unions etc.. The last bastion against total government control is the "internets" and Obama wants the power to turn it off? Screw that![/citation]
BTW I'm not a Republican or Democrat

wwwskunkballscom

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Syirrus[/nom]"I won't formulate an opinion based on a three paragraph story, and I know that like 99% of you, I will not read the bill....but man this is scary only because we all know it will not be implement properly and it will be a disaster for some time. Surely we all remember the terrorist threat alerts? What a farce..."Implementing and controls on the internet is not proper.[/citation]
China does it, how is this so far fetched?

G

The problem is that this story did come out a while back, and no one paid any attention to it. Now it resurfaces and people are reading. I wonder why this was not all over the news back then. Or now? Only Fox and internet sites are really pushing it. Bush bashers would be in an uproar about this if it was during his administration, remember the Patriot Act? So, for all of you that are "laughing" at this, remember how you raised caine during the Bush years....seems like you either have short memories or are all for total government control. Control of all the media and first ammendment rights is the first step towards the fall of a democracy, or in our a case a Republic. Keep laughing, that is all you will have left if you let these sort of things pass.

G

I'm fearing the president is like a guy who wants attention and power.
No other president before him had acquired all that power!
If that power falls into the wrong hands, it could be even more catastrophic then a cyberattack!

Besides, what does a president care if a company gets hacked.
Doesn't he have enough power to control the military's network?

I think all of this is too much power a man can handle.
There's a great resemble between hitler and the president. Hitler also acquired great power before he started to become evil and kill jews and other races.
Hitler also seemed like the one who was going to save germany!
He also used the media to pump up his image, and that of the german people!
And the people also never would have imagined Hitler to allow the killing of innocent men and women to happen; but they in the end got suckered into Hitler's scheme of destroying the people's limits and boundries slowly by slowly.
First the society needed to get rid of the 'worthless' people, like the sick, mentally ill, or handicapped people. Seems much like the healthcare bill that lets old people just die with their insurance?
then the unborn... much like killing jews, which at that time where not seen as humans neither...
Many, many scary resemblances....

G

They want to hide and control information that threatens their agenda, freedom of speech does not exist in the media but it does online. The Internet is what's giving American's opinions and questions, without this we will be blind easily manipulated.

There is nothing more Patriotic then the "freedom of speech".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS