School Laptop Recommendation

spencer-a-farias

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hey guys I'm looking for a new laptop for school and am looking for some recommendations.

1. What is your budget?
1000-1400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15-15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Don't care, higher the better though obviously

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both

5. How much battery life do you need?
>6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No (doing a dirt cheap gaming build ft an i3 hopefully and a 7870)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Word, Web, music

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
= or >256gb ssd (may be willing to swap an hdd for an ssd but but take away 300 from the budget then)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No preference (physical store however)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Nice, however not necessary

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
N/A

13. What country do you live in?
USA (Detroit, Michigan)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed
-nice if it had a touch screen
-must have hdmi out

This laptop will be my only computer (besides my gaming build which will be only for games) so therefore it needs to be portable enough to take to classes yet have enough power to run applications ft out crashing out on me (no lag :p)
I really like the ultra book form factor and i do not want the old school six inch thick style laptops.

Thanks for the help. Post anymore questions if necessary and ill answer as quickly as possible.

Solution

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

lol

you want all of everything huh :)

ok your choices are critical , you want it slim and light , desktop power , and 6 hours battery life :D

here is what you should look for :

1- whatever you get, be sure it is an I7 quad cores. your budget allows it.
2- an IPS monitor is a MUST . most people ignore this part, but they ar Mistaken , so ALLWAYS look for "IPS" LCD
3-look for a notebook with a battery base add on , for reaching 7 hours battery life with a quad core cpu.

I found this for you from Sony, and it has good specs :

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666495150&categoryId=8198552921644931999
check the 15 inch specs .

Sony Offers 10% discounts for students as well. and they offer the extended Battery sheet for free ($150 value) .
you can costumize it and add 2x128SSD in raid 0 :)

If you can wait however , the New Haswell Notebooks are a coming and the Lenovo Thinkpad T440s are very nice option.

Solution