School Makes iTouch/iPhone Compulsory

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Obviously creativex11 is a member of the creative class. See the power of his broad association. If you had to go back and read his post to understand mine, you can thank goodness you're not a regurgitating drone.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Wow! While I'm not a big fan of their pushing Apple products; I can see why considering that they have their own free store on iTunes.

Now for those of you that don't see the point of this at all; then you probably never went to a 2/4 year school:

[citation][nom]HobbitCy[/nom]I am personally in favor of digital distribution of uni work.I'm in my 3rd year and most lecturers have there class presentations online for us to read again.if i had the lecture online as well that would be great.not a fan of the apple though but great explanation why they have it set up like that[/citation]

I totally agree with HobbitCy. Having a Prof. Power Point slides never did much for me and if you have a 3 hour lecture, it's pretty difficult to retain ALL of that information. Having some way to listen to it again would be helpful. While I agree, that making Netbooks required instead of laptops would be the better idea; I also know that Universities can be like most major companies that are slow to change and when they do, they rarely look far ahead. They probably planned to do this iPod Touch program 12 months ago before Netbooks had proven themselves to be a worthy new technology (I know I thought they would be fad). Also, their IT Dept. was probably to lazy to create a list of requirements and instructions for people who aren't all using the same devices or they would just do a crappy job (have you seen the instructions they give for establishing an internet connection in your dorm?)

And for those that say, they could just put them on their laptop; laptops are portable computers but they are still heavy and laborious at times, hence the reason netbooks exist at all.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
oh and can we at least give the University credit for doing something different?!?

If you don't care for the idea, take solace in the fact that this is only for ONE major at their university.

frozenlead

Distinguished
My University already has a system in place where course coordinators and professors can distribute online content, power point slides, and lecture videos...and guess what...it's standard. Uses this thing called a web browser to distribute content to any computer than can use one...not requiring a tiny screen to look at, and not requiring you to download iCrap. So now students are expected to purchase books, computers, AND new phones/mp3 players? This is getting a little out of hand.

frozenlead

Distinguished
TigerTech estimates that 90 percent of Missouri students have iPods. We are trying to take advantage of that as a means to deliver course content. The video capability of the iPod Touch and iPhone makes this an ideal delivery platform and gives students a device on which they can review lectures and other course material while on the go or working out.

From their site...
So what happened to normal notebooks and desktop's video capability? What percent of students have a computer that can play video available? This is the best way, you say?

This is ridiculous.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
University of Missouri’s journalism department : Breeding the next generation of uptight Apple followers. The semester ends in a suicide pact where everyone drinks iPunch laced with cyanide while Steve Jobs watches from the stage in white robes. That evening, news services worldwide praise iPunch + Cyanide saying it is way more hip and stylish than similarly PC based suicide drinks.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]University of Missouri’s journalism department : Breeding the next generation of uptight Apple followers. The semester ends in a suicide pact where everyone drinks iPunch laced with cyanide while Steve Jobs watches from the stage in white robes. That evening, news services worldwide praise iPunch + Cyanide saying it is way more hip and stylish than similarly PC based suicide drinks.[/citation]

....damn.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
"Lectures are the worst possible learning format," Associate Dean Brian Brooks, told the Columbia Missourian, the campus newspaper. "There's

been some research done that shows if a student can hear that lecture a second time, they retain three times as much of that lecture."

Make good textbooks you lazy asses, coming to lectures is about hearing the teachers explaining the books.
And instead of going after apple you should consider other options such as e.g.: the samsung omnia or even better support FOSS-software. And also list the Neo Freerunner.
(Listing not only one vendor doesn't limit students.)
(And of course not add anything which isn't been tested.)
Which is actually a responsibility of institutes.
Or very small pc's that are able to be put in a pocket.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Just a little extreme is all.[/citation]

True, but I keep getting that feeling from Mac users. It's like they are in a cult and don't realize it. Seems like so many of them just buy into the hype.

Not all Mac users are like this of course...

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]University of Missouri’s journalism department : Breeding the next generation of uptight Apple followers. The semester ends in a suicide pact where everyone drinks iPunch laced with cyanide while Steve Jobs watches from the stage in white robes. That evening, news services worldwide praise iPunch + Cyanide saying it is way more hip and stylish than similarly PC based suicide drinks.[/citation]

Things not going so well for you? Feel a little better when people confirm that Windows is the best? Here I rather see you ok...

Windows XP is great and windows 7 is very promising and i think it's going to be very nice.

That's as far as i'll go without lying. I'd mention vista but I try to stay positive.

LawstCawz

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Windows XP is great and windows 7 is very promising ~snip~ I'd mention vista but I try to stay positive.[/citation]

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
And one wonders how much apple bribed them to make this happen. OHHH wait its a donation. SOOO we have a whole new lot of morons that think they know how to report the news but will find that they can only do it with the space aloted by twitter.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I know that my tuition, room rent, and parking cost ALL went up because the state is supposedly reducing budget to universities....and now this bullshit?

AND, f*ck financial aid. You dam near have to be a poor immigrant (not meant in a derogatory way at all) just to qualify. I am perfectly financially solvent, have a good credit rating, and rich white parents, guess how much financial aid I got, NONE. Even if I wanted to pay my own way, as long as I am claimed as a dependent of my parents I cannot get anything. If I claim myself as independent, then I get some, but the other issues associated with that easily cancel it out.

And I agree with what has been said above, how does the ipod do anything special that a laptop can't? And o ya, I dont see people getting laptops given to them by universities, I mean state, I mean my taxes.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
A lot idiots here obviously only read the title and then start commenting. Morans. It states that the iphone is not actually required, they just listed it as a requirement so students can have the cost of one factored into their financial aid package. That doesn't mean financial aid is going to foot the cost of their new iphone, just that part of the cost will end up being offset. Its not just some free hook up for students either, the university obviously plans to use them and wants as many of their students to have some such device.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]reasonablevoice[/nom]A lot idiots here obviously only read the title and then start commenting. Morans. It states that the iphone is not actually required, they just listed it as a requirement so students can have the cost of one factored into their financial aid package. That doesn't mean financial aid is going to foot the cost of their new iphone, just that part of the cost will end up being offset. Its not just some free hook up for students either, the university obviously plans to use them and wants as many of their students to have some such device.[/citation]

The fact that it's listed as required for the sole purpose of getting financial aid is even MORE aggrivating. Tax-payer money is going to be spent on what is essentially a toy - when any computer would suffice. They claim people will listen to lectures multiple times, but the truth is that they will only distract the students. If we're going to be giving something to students, at least make it something like a netbook which isn't completely intended as an entertainment device.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
most of the entire college system is a load of crap anyways. Cheaitng their way through school doesnt prove they are worth crap in the workforce. Experience will always be greater then a degree, but the execs are pissed that they had to spend money on their childs college, so their company requires a degree. STUPID.

Status
Not open for further replies.